HQ unit holding an objective

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action HQ unit holding an objective

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gianluca
    Participant

Hi everybody, first post from a newbie with a few games played.
    Last night we played an amazing game with “point defence” scenario. At the very last turn my opponent contended the objective that will give me victory with an HQ unit (1 miniature) against my 10 men squad. Luckly we rolled the dice for the extra turn so i winned anyway but i dont like very much this rule or the way we read it.
    What do you think? We made a mistake or the rule says just that?
    How is it possible for a team of two or three men to hold an objective while a heavy tank cannot do it?

Thank for the help
    Gianluca

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

If the objective states “infantry unit” or “any unit” or words to that effect, a one man HQ unit meets those criteria.

You can always talk with your opponents and house rule otherwise (ie 3 man unit or larger required to contest) but there is nothing in the rules stopping it for any but medics – geneva convention rule prevents says to ignore them for determining control of objectives.

Commander Klank
    Participant

Stuart is correct, having side that I would say a single model unit could “hold” and objective only if no enemy units with more than one model are not within 12 inches… just my opinion.

I’m glad you won.

Gianluca
    Participant

First of all, thanks again for your reply!

I agree with your amendment Klank but i would like to find a written rule about not just a house rule.

Contend an objective to a complete team of 10 soldiers with one officer it seems rather unrealistic and allows “tricky” tactics that undermine the credibility of the game … my opinion of course

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Point to note – you need to carefully read the Victory Conditions heading to determine exactly what is required – ie:

In Key Positions control of objectives is assessed at the end of the game and requires you to have a model from an infantry or artillery unit (or an occupied transport) within 3″ and no enemy.

In Point Defence all objectives are held by the defender and remain held by the defender unless the attacker takes them (requires the attacker to have a model within 3″ and no defender within 3″) – the defender can also recapture the objectives. At all times the objective is held by one or the other, no such thing as contested – you either meet the criteria to take it or it still belongs to the side that had it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.