How robust are the models?

Home Forums Historical Black Seas How robust are the models?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nigel Heather
    Participant

I’ve looked at this game on and off ever since it was released.  It appeals to me, the models look great but I wonder how robust they are for wargaming use.

I was actually at a war game show near release with the intention of buying.  I visited the Warlord Games stand and they had it out but they really weren’t promoting it that well.  The models were unfinished and no one was playing.  When I asked why the models were unfinished they told me that they hadn’t bothered with the sails, rigging and ratlines because they are too delicate and fall off when handling during play.

And that put me off buying.  I still keep coming back and looking it though.

What are your thoughts, are the models really that delicate – do you play without sails and ratlines.   I appreciate that it wouldn’t change gameplay but it loses some of the appeal.

Cheers,

Nigel

Adam Saunders
    Participant

Hi Nigel,

If you rig the basic plastic ships per the rule book and glue on the sails and ratlings well they are very robust. I’ve dropped a plastic brig off the table onto a wood floor and it was completely unscathed.

The larger metal/resin ships are a bit more delicate as white metal is always free to bend. I’ve heard some people make their own masts or use other plastic masters to get around this issue.

You should also check out the Facebook Black Seas group as it’s used a lot more regularly than this forum.

Regards,

Adam

Nigel Heather
    Participant

I guess you have to glue the ratlines with superglue as they are acetate.

Are the sails paper/card or are they a plastic laminate.

I could live without the ratlines but I’d want the sails, flags and a minimum of rigging thread.

Cheers,

Nigel

invisible officer
    Participant

Hi Nigel,

I play with fully rigged sailing ships in 1/1200 and 1/300. Even with standing and running rig they are very durable. The simpler rigging done by most on the Black sea models will stand to all ordinary forms of game use.

OK, if you throw them at the wall……..  😉

Attachments:
    Nigel Heather
    Participant

Thanks, and great photo.

My concern was less about the rigging and more about the ratlines and sails provided for Black Sails. My understanding is that the ratlines are printed on acetate and that the sails are card or paper. Was wandering how well they say attached.

Cheers,

Nigel

Steve Burt
    Participant

The supplied ratlines and sails stay on fine. The sails are thick paper. Gel superglue works well for sails and ratlines. I use thin wire for rigging rather than thread as I find it easier and it also strengthens the models a lot.

Basing the ships helps a lot with protecting them, and also means you don’t touch the model when picking it up; it also give you somewhere to put the label with the ship’s name.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.