French Light Infantry Colors for Drummer and voltigeurs

Home Forums Historical Black Powder French Light Infantry Colors for Drummer and voltigeurs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bolebg
    Participant

Hi,

Does anyone know the book or any resources where i can find color of musician uniform and color of epaulet/pompom of voltigeurs company per French light infantry regiment?

Thanks,

Bolebg

Nat
    Participant

Osprey me-at-arms book146

Napoleon’s light infantry

– it alters between regiments really…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Nat.
    bolebg
    Participant

You are right. Missed it in text there is explanation for each light regiment voltigeurs epaulets and feathers. Thanks!

But i do not see color of musician uniform per battalion? Any hint?

Nat
    Participant

Well pg 7 says that the ‘heads of coloumn’ so the bands, sappers etc followed the same rules as the Line Infantry…

bolebg
    Participant

But do you maybe know those rules? What should be color of the battalion drummer in light infantry regiment?|

My plan would be to create Light infantry regiments but with proper color for drummer and voltages epaulets and feathers per regiment.

Nat
    Participant

pg 18 of the line infantry book – governed by the whim of the colonel :p

<snip> drummmer, fifers and cornets usually wore ordinary uniforms <snip> ordinary company distinctions, shako ornaments etc

bolebg
    Participant

Hmm, I believe that uniform color of light infantry drummer (battalion) was different.

In Osprey me-at-arms 146, Napoleon light Infantry, I saw even that drummer of central companies had  light blue / red uniform (plate E).

It is the reason i am searching for combo drummer/volitgeur epaulet/feathers per regiment.

Nat
    Participant

do you know what regiment(s) you’re wanting to paint?  As you might be able to find out more specifics online

This site has all the 1815 uniforms of the 100 days (http://centjours. mont-saint-jean.com /unitesFR. php)

invisible officer
    Participant

The problem is theory and reality. 17th frimaire AN XI an order came from Paris that the band musicians had to wear the same dress the drummers / hornists wore.

April 1807,  August 1810, Sept. 1811. There are enough orders and material lists about reduction of the expensive add ons to fill a book. The colonels did not care and so the tête de colonne looked mostly like a circus band.  Worse, any new colonel normally changed it. So any source we have is just for that unit AND date.

The battalion musicians mostly wore normal  soldier dress with added wings.

Some elite companies used the bearskin, some not.

Some of  the sappers wore another fantasy variation, others wore the band dress and ordinary soldier blue was most common.   (15th LI sapper in 1809 red jacket with blue vest and collar, grey trousers with thick red stripe. Black bearskin with red feather and bag.   Strange)

bolebg
    Participant

i actually plan to make 2-3 regiments of French Light Infantry for Spain 1809-1812.

So any hint about musician color and voltigeurs epaulets would be great.

Have to check order of battles to see was 27th light regiments (where we have drummer in Osprey plate) present in Spain?

bolebg
    Participant

if you have any data for French light regiments in Spain 1809-1812 it would be great,

invisible officer
    Participant

Legeres in Spain:

1 – 6

8-10

15-18

23-25

27 – 28

31-32

bolebg
    Participant

Thanks for list! very good way to avoid searching battle orders.

Do you maybe have for them drummer color and voltigeur epaulets/feathers.

What i found is following site with lot of resources.

Online articles by Frédéric Berjaud (free.fr)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.