Depression….

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Depression….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dreux
    Participant

My poor GrenadiersAnd just like that, 12 of Napoleons Grenadiers end up in the drink. Now to continue my quest for the right blue.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

What sort of paint do you use Dreux? Perhaps someone can suggest some appropriate shades in your preferred paint?

Don’t Warlord do Army Painter sets for particular armies?

invisible officer
    Participant

There is no “right” blue for the French. Or any other “right” uniform color before the invention of UV resistant cloth colors.

A unit that served a few weeks in Spanish summer got a very different shade of blue compared to the comrades that stayed in Depot in Paris had.

But even the northern sun was changing the Cloth shades.
    British rifle green became more and more dark for that reason in 19th century. Just to counter the effect of UV bleaching.

Another problem was rain and cleaning. Washing a lot of color out of the cloth. British scarlet sometimes got pink.

Dreux
    Participant

I have been using Vallejo colors mostly, and for some reason every time I THINK I have a decent color mix (like a little bit of dark Prussian and a little bit of Oxford) o feel that it just doesn’t look right to me.

I don’t know, I guess I am used to my own uniform (I reenact the battle of New Orleans with a unit that wore Imperial Grenadier uniforms) and get angry when I can’t duplicate it lol

Jeremu
    Participant

You’re completely right, I’ve been waiting for somebody to say something like this. My father, who’s really into naval models, often has heard people asking about or selling “Nelson’s authentic Trafalgar yellow colour.” But of course no one thought to document the hex codes for the exact shade of the colour, and also every time it was repainted the shade changed, as it did after the ship had been out for a while. The colour would also be different on different parts of the ship, because they would get exposed to different things at different strengths. Also not to mention the fact that the Venetian red dye for British soldiers was chosen for its cheapness, nothing else, so they would continue going for the cheapest they could get until the red really became such a source of pride, and dyeing became a much more accurate science.

Garry Wills
    Participant

Humbrol Matt 104 the only way to go!

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Enamel or acrylic ? 😉

Dr Dave
    Participant

Sun bleaching would change it all anyway, plus any adverse weather along with variations in the manufacture. I think some of you are trying to find the BS for a certain colour. It never existed!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.