Commissioned date discrepancies

Home Forums Historical Victory At Sea Commissioned date discrepancies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mick
    Participant

Quick query about commissioned dates. If you guys are playing a game base on a year alone, for example you can’t have any ships after 1942. Wht adate are you basing your fleet on? As I have come across a number of discrepancies between the rulebook, data cards and the model bases.

If you look at the King George Class Battleships for example; the book says 1940, which I am presuming is just when the first one was commissioned. On the HMS DOY it says 1943, but it was commissioned in 1941. So now I am not sure whether to go by the model, book or actual commisioned date.

Another one with the HMS Ark Royal, model says 1937, data cards says 1938

HMS Eagle, model says 1940, book and data card say 1924.

Enioch
    Participant

You never go by the model. The model is a placeholder. The reason it has a date on it is because ships get refits and their appearance changes – the model is accurate to how that ship would look at the date mentioned on the model.

In a battle, models can be used to depict the ship at any point during its lifetime. If you have a battle taking place in 1941, then your 1943 refit DoY is just standing in for its 1941 version.

And if your opponent has any sense, they will allow you to use models as placeholders for unreleased ships. Like – Yugumos have not been released. But you could easily use a Kagero or a Fubuki model as a placeholder.

Mick
    Participant

Thanks Enrioch.

So really you only have to worry about the exact name and commision is really if you were playing a historical scenario. But during general play I could just go by the date on the data card?

Enioch
    Participant

If you are playing a pickup game taking place in year X (you have to agree on what date that is with your opponent, to determine availability of national rules such as VT fuzes and functioning USN torpedoes), you can deploy any ship that was commissioned before or during year X – and you see that in the commissioning date field in the data card.

Note that you can choose to refit any of the ships you bring up to that date, but no further.

For instance, if the game takes place in 1944, you can take a ship commissioned in 1941 and refit it up to its 1944 refit by paying the associated change in point cost (you can also bring it in its 1942 or 1943 form). You cannot bring it in its 1945 refit.

Nat
    Participant

Just to append Enioch’s point:

If taking a 1943 refit then you have to purchase all older refits (so 1941 & 1942 if present)

If playing pickup games /non historical scenarios then you just take the names as sub-classes as there is no restrictions to only 1 of a name.

So for example the Mogami class heavy cruiser class had 4 ships, but you are not limited to only having 4 in your fleet.  Only one of them had a massive refit that removed the rear turrets and had a flight deck in 1943 but you could 2 (or more) if you wanted.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Nat.
    Mick
    Participant

Hi, yeah I was aware the refits are cumalative, thanks for the reply though Nat :), it was just the commisioned date, while it does make more sense now what Enioch said, although I think I would have just preferred it if Warlord had put the date it was commisioned on the model as opposed to the date it had a refit.

I did still came across a couple of errors though after going through all the ships released so far and if the date on the card is when the class was first commisioned.

British Leander Class ; Data card says commisioned in 1932 but the first Leander cruiser was commisioned in 1933

IJN Mogami Class ; Data card says commisioned in 1937, but 2 were actually completed in 1935 and 2 in 1937, note I say completed though, so I’m not 100% on whether that  actually means commissioned.

Back onto refits though, 4 of the Tribal ones confused me until I realized the 4th one was a combination of the 1st and 3rd one and I think there MAY have been a misprint which is what threw me out. Originally when I was fleet building I didn’t really pay attention to detroyers and had the mindset of bigger is better, but after the advice from you guys gave me in my other post about carriers I went for a balance. Looking at the Tribal it doesn’t come with Radar. I won’t re-write ALL the ship names and refits but I will note the ones that stuck out.

1940 (Eskimo, + 4 more ships) Decrease Light Guns and add Light Guns etc +5pts (1 refit)

1940 (Cossack) Add Radar, Decrease Light Guns and add Light Guns etc +10 pts (2 refits)

1941 (Eskimo, + 4 more ships) Add Radar +5pts (1 refit)

1941 (2 ships, Eskimo, + 6 more ships) Add Radar, decrease Light Guns and add Light Guns etc +10 pts (2 refits)

As I wasn’t actually looking at the names of the ships, I was adding up the refits 1940, then the second 1940, until I finally got to my Radar one in 1941, in total the destroyer cost me 5 pts and I was thinking how the hell are these guys getting 6-7+ destroyers, lol.

Then when I looked at the second 1941 refit it actually just combines the Eskmo’s 1940 and 1941 refits into one refit for a total of +10pts, lol. Yeah yeah don’t laugh!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mick.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Mick.
    Nat
    Participant

yeah… the refits could do with i) being clearer
    ii) being proof read… I mean seriously the whole book should have been…I have a ‘small’ spreadsheet of over 200 issues with the stats blocks (missing info, blatenly wrong numbers, doubled up refits etc etc), & I gave up!
    iii) dont even get me or enoich started on the points…..

Mick
    Participant

I think I will just stick with what is on the cards/book and append when an errata corrects it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.