Commander MacColla Unit and Disorder

Home Forums Historical Pike & Shotte Commander MacColla Unit and Disorder

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Prichard
    Participant

The Army of Montrose can bring Alasdair MacColla which includes a bodyguard unit (page 163). As a commander I believe he can give orders just like any other commander, but he also has a fighting unit of bodyguards that accompany him.  So unlike other commanders who models are pretty much ignored unless they join a unit, MacColla can be targeted I believe since he can independently fight.  So what happens if his unit suffers a disorder?  Can MacColla still issue orders to other units or is he debilitated like all other disordered units?

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Mark – I think the MacColla option here simply provides an additional unit for the 90 points cost as well as the commander himself. So, if you take MacColla as a commander you also get a ‘free’ small unit of bodyguard. MacColla still follow the same rules for Generals and Commanders on pages 84 and 85, including joining units, and vulnerability of commanders. The bodyguard is a small unit of foot in battle line.

I can’t see any suggestion that a commander, having joined a unit that is disordered, can not still issue orders to other units.

I think the special rule for MacColla is a neat way of representing the bodyguard unit suggested in some accounts that was formed from the men of the Irish Brigade for MacColla. Especially useful when relighting Auldearn.

Hope that helps?

Mark Prichard
    Participant

So MacColla is separate from the body guard unit (unless he purposely joins the unit and is subject to the rules for eliminating leaders who are a part of a unit as normal).  Therefore, if the body guard unit is disordered it will follow the normal rules for disordered units and MacColla who is separate may still give orders as normal.

Makes sense.  Thank you!

Charge The Guns
    Participant

My pleasure, 👍

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.