Color of uniforms

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Color of uniforms

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    richard zamudio
    Participant

Did the Indian troops serving with the Chindits (77th Division) wear the green uniforms of the Chindits or did they wear the khaki color used by other Indian forces. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

Kar98k
    Participant

The book “The Indian Army 1914-1947” from Osprey Publishing doesn’t give a lot of details on uniforms, but it seems to suggest that either was possible (Khaki or re-dyed Jungle Green). However, it also points out that from 1943, uniforms were progressively replaced among Indian and British troops by a purpose-made lightweight copy of the British battledress in olive green (jungle green?).

GeneralJimbo81
    Participant

I’m not an expert on this area by any means but my understanding was that many or most uniforms (though I very very much doubt all) were re-dyed green locally. The “locally” here is key as there was apparently as a result very little (if any) standard and thus quite a variety in colour and quality (It’s thus possible that some redyed uniforms faded considerably or even the dye got “washed out”). From a modelling perspective I actually find this quite cool as pretty much you can paint whatever you feel like.

richard zamudio
    Participant

Thank you, gentlemen! Both of  you have been extremely helpful!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.