Can a Charging Unit Shoot?

Home Forums Historical Pike & Shotte Can a Charging Unit Shoot?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark Prichard
    Participant

If you give a unit a charge order and it does not quite make it into melee can it fire during the shooting phase?

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Mark. Good question. I can’t see anything that suggests you can’t, so I think it is fine to blaze away.

Mark Prichard
    Participant

Well that was my thought. Thank you.

David
    Participant

No they can’t.
    For reference there is a special rule for Swedish infantry that specifically allows them to shoot when charging.

David
    Participant

When you make your charge move you move in to close combat, and units in close combat may not shoot. The only exception is units that where charged that may pick closing fire as a charge response.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by David.
    Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi David, I think there may be some confusion here? My understanding of Mark’s situation is a unit has tried to charge, but didn’t get enough command to move in to contact. So although the order was to “charge” there is no charge and no contact. Mark is therefore asking if the unit who failed to charge, and is therefore not in contact, can fire in the shooting phase.

(As you say, there is a special rule in The Devil’s Playground for Swedish shot to fire during their charge move. )

Mark Prichard
    Participant

Yes, Charge the Guns is correct that my question had to do with those units which fail the charge or for some other reason do not reach the targeted unit and are not in close combat. Can they fire? I agree with Charge the Guns as I could not find anything that prohibits a unit fire if they are not in close combat.

David
    Participant

Ah sorry I must have glanced over the bit about not making it in to contact.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.