Break tests from shooting

Home Forums Historical Hail Caesar Break tests from shooting

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    arcole
    Participant

Hi All,

Quick question from a game I had yesterday against someone who had not layed the game before. Up until now I have played it that making a unit take a break test from shooting is based upon the “to hit” dice rolls only, so if you get enough 6’s when shooting it does not matter if the target save them all. My opponent had read the rules to mean that a successful morale save meant the the hit was discarded, so if he saved the 6’s he would not need to make a test.

Which is correct? In order to keep the game flowing we opted to let him make the saves.

Regards
    A.

Big Al
    Participant

It is quite clear at the bottom of page 72.
    A break test is required on a roll of 6 to hit. (Your friend is wrong).
    A break test is required if two 6’s are rolled to hit when a 6 is required to hit (again your friend is wrong).

You were correct. Just show your opponent the paragraph at the bottom of page 72 and ask him to read it again. There is nothing vague about it that he could possibly have misunderstood. Just because a hit has been saved does not stop a break test from being taken.

arcole
    Participant

Hi Big Al,,

Thanks for the reply. I felt that was the case, but he had picked up on this sentence under Morale saves: “If a dice scores equal to or better than the unit’s morale value then that hit is disregarded or ‘saved’.” and had initially viewed that as indicating a “disregarding” a successful morale save would mean it not being counted on the break test. I will pass this on.

Regards

A.

Big Al
    Participant

I know what he is thinking, but he is wrong. He is “cherry picking” what he reads by interpretation. “Disregarded or saved” is what it says and in order to do that the hit must have occurred.

I’m sorry, but he is totally wrong. The break test is caused by any roll to hit of 6 and that is before any saves are attempted.

It is similar in Black Powder, where any roll of 6 to hit causes disorder, regardless of whether it is saved or not (there is no break test involved in that game).

On here it is very difficult to get Rick Priestley involved, but much easier on Facebook. However, I am sure that others will confirm my comments when they read them.
    I can guarantee that my comments are correct.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.