BP2 – re-rolls

Home Forums Historical Black Powder BP2 – re-rolls

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    East Norfolks
    Participant

Hello all

A few questions on re-rolls:

-When a general with a SR of 9 joins a brigade commander with a SR of 8, do you use 9 for the re-roll?

-If you are re-rolling using a general with a SR of 9 and you are ordering a unit with the Reliable rule, would that make the re-roll order a 10?

-If the general has joined a brigade commander for a potential or actual re-roll, is he allowed to move again that Turn?

Also, on a different point:

-When H2H is a draw, do you always test if shaken, regardless of whether you were shaken at the start of the turn or became shaken during the turn from H2H?  I’ve seen a few videos that suggest you only test if you were shaken at the start of your turn but can’t see this in the main rules.

Thanks!

Big Al
    Participant

A reroll is just that. All of the conditions that were in place for the original roll are still in place, you are just getting a second chance to make the result a good one. So, no, you do not get an improved SR rating because it is still the original commander that has issued the order. With regard to Reliable, the same answer – you are rolling against the SR of the commander that issued the order and not the General who is in the vicinity.

If you want to use the SR of the General, then it is he who must issue the order in the first place.

A command figure only moves once in a turn unless and that is usually after he has completed his orders, unless he has issued a Rally or Follow Me order, in which case that is his final order and he then moves to join the unit that received the order.

Regarding your hand to hand question – Yes you always test. The test is taken at the end of the combat and the conditions that the unit finds itself in at that point. It has nothing to do with the condition before the combat started, only the condition at the end. So, if your unit became shaken during the combat, then it is shaken and is forced to take a break test if the combat is drawn.

If the unit is shaken and has won the combat, it does not test. It has won and is buoyant with the success, so has no need to test.

The videos you have watched that show different conditions are either incorrect or they are using house rules. If it is the latter, then it is annoying because they are not making it clear that they are using house rules and implying that they are using the rules, which is very unhelpful to anyone watching, like yourself, who is trying to learn the game.

Honestly, the rule is clearly written in the rulebook and not vague in any way!

hope all that helps.

East Norfolks
    Participant

As always thanks Big Al

Personally I think the rules for re-rolling could be a little clearer (especially for a relative newbie like me).  However, your explanation makes perfect sense and I shall follow accordingly.

When you say “If you want to use the SR of the General, then it is he who must issue the order in the first place” I am assuming that means when using one of the Advance Rules for Generals such as CinC.

On the shaken in H2H point, yes I was always playing it the way you described until I saw the videos online – there was no mention of house rules so I thought I was missing something.  Anyway, clear now.

Thanks again!

Big Al
    Participant

Yes, I tend not to play the new command rules, but stick to the V1 option. I have played the new way and it works, but all your General is doing is bestowing a reroll. You can use him to issue orders, but he has to join the brigade and eplace the brigade commander for that turn. He can only do that if the brigade commander hasn’t issued any orders in that turn. He can’t join and take over part way through. So, you start using the brigade commander or the General, but can’t swap part way through the turn. So yes, it is using the Advanced Rules.

East Norfolks
    Participant

OK thanks – yes I think I will continue to use the Advance Rules for Generals, seems much more engaging way to play.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.