Body Armour and Exceptional Damage

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Body Armour and Exceptional Damage

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    FleeBag
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Body Armour and Exceptional Damage</p>
    My Soviet Combat Engineers, which are veterans as standard, required a 5+ to wound. If taken with the body armor this changes the need to roll a 6. However, this also then makes for a re-roll for exceptional damage. When I play this unit, the first time I take wounds, the chance of it being exceptional increases. As such, I lose my NCO, flamethrower, LMG, or antitank capabilities. Which then means I’ve just got an expensive, yet strong, rile/SMG squad.

I have tried to argue to my opponent, that they might have to roll 6s, followed by 6s, followed by 6s? But he wasn’t having any of it!

I can not find any rules about this, or a forum post. Can any one help?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by FleeBag. Reason: update email notification
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by FleeBag.
    Stuart Harrison
    Participant

Snipers aside, a six on the roll to damage isn’t automatic exceptional damage, it’s a POSSIBILITY of exceptional damage – you have to roll another 6 to actually score exceptional damage.  Snipers successfully rolling to damage is automatic exceptional damage – the fact of it needing to be a six in this case is redundant.

The rules for exceptional damage are p58, Shooting, Target Takes Casualties, Exceptional Damage.

(edited to add reference)

FleeBag
    Participant

It wasn’t a question about how the exceptional rule works. I’ve edited my original post to reflect.

The question was, how does the exceptional rule work when you have to roll 6s to wound, does it fall into the impossible shot rule?

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

There is no difference.

You roll a 6 to wound, it causes a casualty.  You then roll for the possible exceptional.  If the second roll is also a 6, you choose the casualty, if not, the defender chooses.  You’re not trying to score 7, 8, or higher, you’re simply required to follow a 6 ‘to damage’ with another 6.  Super-sixes only exist in the ‘to hit’ rules.

HellRaiser 7
    Participant

Yes, Stuart is correct.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.