Battle Travel

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Battle Travel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paschalis Antoniou
    Participant

Hi

I was wondering whether the BP rules can be used to play the Travel Battle set by Perry miniatures.
    What say you?

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Paschalis – an interesting idea! No reason that you couldn’t define the blocks of infantry and cavalry as standard sized units. Some things I think you need to adapt:

– Ground scale and movement. I think Travel Battle uses a defined board and grid system. You’d need to adapt that to BP movement in inches.

– Formations. BP differentiates things like column and line and so you’d need to work out how to reflect those with the Travel Battle counters / blocks of figures.

There are some commercial rule sets out there which use a grid system already. Perhaps they’d adapt more easily? BP was based on Warmaster which was designed to do large battles with smaller scale figures. Could be worth looking at that.

Paschalis Antoniou
    Participant

Hi
    Thnx for the reply!
    The rules that come with the set do not allow musketree (i do not know why). I was wondering whether this can also be adjusted with BP?

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Paschalis, I don’t own Travel Battle but from the reviews I have read my understanding is that the effect of infantry musketry is included within the overall infantry factors; there is no separate infantry shooting. This makes sense to me when you look at the ground scale of Travel Battle.

I’m not sure that adding BP shooting in to Travel Battle would work. It feels a bit like you are trying to mate a Great Dane with a Chihuahua! I’m not sure it can be made to work, and the end result might be awful 😉 .

Perhaps someone else here has played Travel Battle and has more ideas? Does Travel Battle not have some form of support, like a Facebook Group?

Big Al
    Participant

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn’t use BP rules with Travel Battle. I thought the same thing after my first game. The Travel Battle Rules have a lot of similarity with BP. They are very simple rules but follow a similar style. You would probably want to buy a few more units or another copy of the game to bulk out your armies. Buying another copy is a good way of doing it because you get additional game boards. A lot of fun. Need to dig mine out again.

Paschalis Antoniou
    Participant

Hi thnx for your reply!
    Did you use BP rules with the set? How does musketry shooting worked?

Big Al
    Participant

Perry, I haven’t done that yet, but I do play a lot of Black Powder, which is why I know that the rules would work just fine. Use the same ranges as in the Travel Battle Rules.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.