Another Newbie question regarding Armour vs Armour

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action Another Newbie question regarding Armour vs Armour

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jvr1979
    Participant

Could someone describe the process of Tanks firing at Tanks in the rules? Do the rules make a distinction between the Soviet T34/85 and a German mark IV?

Im sure its much simplier than im making it out to be

Thanks again for the help.

ChicagoDice
    Participant

Hello!

When a vehicles fires at another vehicle work out the “To Hit” roll just like you would for infantry. For example, your tank was ordered to “Advance” (-1 To Hit) and your target is at Long Rage (-1 “To Hit”) resulting in you needed a 5+ “To Hit”.

Now, let’s say you hit your target. Then you roll a die to try and damage your target and add your weapons Pen. Value. For example, you are firing a Heavy AT Gun (Pen. Value of +6). So, roll a die (let’s say you roll a 4) and add 6 (the Pen. Value) to the roll, resulting in a 10. The Armor Value of your target is number you need to get to achieve damage. If you were firing at a Light Tank (Armor 8), you did it! Now roll on the Damage Chart. But, if you were firing at a Super Heavy Tank (Armor 11) your result of a 10 did not cause any damage, but you still caused a Pin!

I know that was a wall of text and I hope it makes sense! It’s much easier than it sounds!

For your second question – “Do the rules make a distinction between the Soviet T34/85 and a German mark IV?”

I’m not not what you mean. Do those two tanks have different rules? Yep!

Stuart Harrison
    Participant

“Do the rules make a distinction between the Soviet T34/85 and a German mark IV?”

Very little distinction if looking at the contemporary late Panzer IV (Ausf G through J)- same cost, same weapons, same armour.

T34/85 has an option to turn it into the flame-thrower variant, Panzer IV has option of shurzen and has the benefit of the German “Tiger Fear” rule.

Earlier Panzer IVs have the light howitzer instead of the Heavy AT gun, the earliest also are only rated as light tank armour.

Slyde Klewlis
    Participant

YouTube Battle reports and how to play videos can be helpful just make certain you are watching people playing 2nd Edition rules with the recent Errata and FAQ changes that came out around March of this year.

If you stick to videos dated 2018 you should be fine.

Tabletop CP, WarHQ.co.uk, Tabletopbattle, are a few of my favorite channels I subscribed to. They are a huge help.

I watch and follow along and when I question what I am seeing I stop the video look up the rule using the 2nd Edition index http://www.bruggies.com.au/Wargaming/BoltActionIndexV2.pdf then chastise the screen; hope that helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.