Advanced to contact ?????

Home Forums Historical Hail Caesar Advanced to contact ?????

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mark
    Participant

Hello everybody

Our little group consider ourselves veteran HC players , having played it since 2014, however a paragraph in HC2 has us a bit perplexed ?

We always considered that two units could not come into contact unless one was charging ? so , there had to be a minimum distance between enemy units ?

However the other night we had a situation where  a Saxon unit had become isolated in front of the main Saxon battle line, the Viking player charged it with his main unit , unit A  , with one rear support, unit B, and a left flank support unit C,

They destroyed the lone Saxon unit and decided to do a sweeping advance , now this brought them into contact with the main Saxon battle line, The main Viking unit , unit A would obviously fight the combat there and then , but we could not work out what Viking unit C , the left hand support should do , did it just drop out of the combat or ? what ?

When we looked in the book (HC2), on page 129 was exactly that scenario , under the paragraph “Moving supports” it said Victorious supports will always attempt to continue to support where possible, and if doing so brings them into a fighting position then this is allowed. Units already engaged as supports do not count as Charging if their move brings them into a fighting position, so is this a “Advanced to contact” ???

Also are we right in reading that sweeping advance units no longer roll to se if they are disordered ??

I thank you for your help in these matters

mark

Big Al
    Participant

I would say that the support would count as a victorious not. It may not have fought directly, but it still fought in that last combat.

As to the second question, I answered a similar question on the Facebook group, or rather, I reminded the players of the disorder test for the sweeping advance, when it was pointed out to me that it was not in the new rules. Rick confirmed it, saying he left it out because the thought that nobody used it! Apparently, he thought players forgot to apply it. So, it is correct that it no longer applies.
    personally, I liked it. It not applied if the unit made both moves for the sweeping advance.

May I suggest that you join our group on Facebook? Rick often responds, especially if asked to clarify an issue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2674774416115570/?ref=share_group_link

mark
    Participant

so is that a yes ? it is a sweeping advance an the melee would be fought next turn but with no charge bonus ??

mark
    Participant

Yes sorry, i am not on face book nor am i likely to be , I don’t want to be part of the social media thing

mark

Big Al
    Participant

They would count as charging because of the Sweeping Advance . As you have said, a unit cannot engage an enemy unless it has charged, but when contact is made, you split the combat up into smaller ones. A supporting unit counts as engaged, so will count as charging.

mark
    Participant

Thanks for the answer but would that combat be fought that turn or the next ? I know the main unit involved in the sweeping advance would fight it that turn , but would the supports also ?

I think we will keep the rolling for disorder at the start of the sweeping advance , there must be a high chance that disorder would creep in after a successful melee

mark

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.