Absolute beginner questions

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Absolute beginner questions

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paolo Gentili
    Participant

Hi! I’m a totally beginner with BP games and new to this forum so forgive me if I say some nonsense. I decided to start with the Gettysburg Starter Set. I read the Rules and I found that it referred to 28mm miniatures. So, first question is a classic one, I suppose: where can I find an explanaion about the adaptation of those rules to 15mm miniatures (I mean ranges of firing etc)? Second one: as it is said in the booklet about the American Civil War added to the set, a regiment (of any kind) is composed of a certain number of ‘stands’: what is a stand? Any single base? This brings to a final question (for now): in the army building section it is said that an army is composed of divisions and regiments, but in the specific scenarios rules I find reference only to brigades, for instance, 4 x Infantry. What does it mean? Four bases/stands of infantry? So something between Small and Regular? Thanks, Paolo

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Paolo, all great questions!  I will try my best to answer them.

1. When playing with 15s we halved ranges distances.  e.g. Infantry move 12”/2 = 6”.  Some people have also used centimetres rather than inches.  As long as both sides do the same it is fine.

2. A stand has no official meaning – it is just wargaming short hand for a base with a number of figures. Some older rules expected a particular number of figures on a particular sized base.  BP was trying to allow for people reusing collections originally based for older rules. A lot of people base 4 figures, 2 ranks of 2, on a sqaure base – perhaps 40mm sqaure.  6 such bases, or stands, would make a 24 figure unit.  When playing others you might agree for a game that a standard size unit is 6 stands for example.

3. I think in this case it is using divisions and brigades interchangeably.  Basically meaning a collection of individual regiments/units.  In the 19th century a division was typically a collection of brigades, and a brigade was a collection regiments. Unless you are doing a very big BP game you wouldn’t need to worry about formations above the brigade. Typically we just play with an army made up of brigades, and each brigade has a number of regiments.

Hope this helps?

Paolo Gentili
    Participant

Thanks! Of course it helps! So, if I understood, when the scenario says ‘4 x infantry’ it means for regiments of infantry, or 20 stands for a regular regiment… Thanks again

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.