A Marshal’s baton in every knapsack

Home Forums Historical Black Powder A Marshal’s baton in every knapsack

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Frederic Romero
    Participant

Hi everyone,

In “A clash of Eagles” the rules for “A Marshal’s baton in every knapsack” (p104) refers to the rulebook to see the chart about the Personal qualities of commanders.
    But in the second edition of BP I can’t find this chart?

Thank for your help and sorry if this question has already been posted.

Mike
    Participant

The 1st Edition has a section on P94 called Personal Qualities of Commanders… there were three qualities: Aggression, Decisiveness, and Independence.  Each Commander was “rated” on all three of these qualities.  Each quality had three possibilities.  The high and low quality each came with rules modifying the command effect of a command die roll.  But the middle possibility (and highest probability) did not confer any impact on the general.

So you would roll on the table for each one… and the “mix” determined your specific personal qualities for a given general.

I believe Clash of Eagles came out before the 2nd Edition so there are some things that do not translate perfectly in the 2nd Edition…

In the 2nd Edition, Randomly Generating Commanders on p. 108 replaces this section from the first edition. Comparing the rules for “A Marshal’s baton in every knapsack” on p 104 with the table on p 94 of the First Edition, the French army is given 2 chances instead of 1 of being Aggressive and Decisive but no improvement in Independence.

If I were to try to adapt this rule to the second edition of BP, it looks like the simplest way would be to simply deduct 1 from the die roll when rolling on the table on p. 108.  I think that would be preferable or else develop your own House Rule for emulating the effect.  I don’t know the reason why the rule was changed other than perhaps sometimes you got a strange mix of characteristics when you rolled for the three qualities instead of just one.

Big Al
    Participant

Yes, remember that Clash of Eagles was written and published well before the second edition of the Black Powder rulebook. So, the references to the main rulebook are the first edition rulebook.

Generally, the supplements are compatible with BP2 but not 100% compatible, like the example you have asked about.

Nat
    Participant

Looking at this and its not to hard to port over from V1 to V2:

You pick Decisivness then you get general traits (pg 109) Decisive on a 5 or 6 OR Hesitant on a 1

If you pick Independance you get Headstrong on a 5 or 6 OR Diffident on a 1 (diffident is different to the old Irresponsible but replaced it)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.