A few Rules Questions

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action A few Rules Questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Claudio Rieder
    Participant

Hello
    We have been playing Bolt Action for a few weeks now and are very enthusiastic about the game. From time to time we are unsure whether we are playing certain situations correctly. During yesterday’s game, the following questions came up for us. I hope someone can tell us if we have applied the rules correctly.

A unit (6 infantry) is hidden behind a house, but one man of this troop is standing in such a way that an attacking infantry troop can see him clearly. It is clear that all defenders are under cover, as the attackers cannot see 50% of the whole troop. But can all the attackers who see the one man fire on the whole troop? Assuming they score 3 hits, would two figures that were not in line of sight also be removed?
    And what would happen if the attackers used a flamethrower? Would the cover modifier not apply on the hit roll?

A weapon team of 2 men (anti-tank gun) is in cover behind a wall (Hard Cover). A tank with a light autocannon (H1) is firing at this squad. The tank is in long range but has not moved. Is it correct that it hits on 7 (2x 6 on D6) (long range, hard cover, small team) although it is firing with HE? Or do the modifiers for cover and small team not apply to the hit roll? Is it true that the wound roll would hit 3 (regular squad; HE1)?

An infantry squad is in a house. A German Vierlingsflak (4 x light autocannon HE1) is firing at the house. The flak is at long range, so the 8 shots hit with the 4. It scores 4 hits. According to the table, these are 4 x W3 hits. A 5 is rolled 4 times, i.e. 12 hits. Are the following statements correct: The building does not collapse because the light autocannon has “only” HE1. The unit in the building is regular and cannot go down. So the wound roll would hit with a 3 (Regular unit, no cover bonus in the house, HE1).

Thanks a lot for your help and greetings from switzerland!

Claudio

Nat
    Participant

1, yes models out of line of sight can be hit

2, correct… all modifiers apply when direct firing IF you hit then you place the template.

3a, if you target the unit so you would need 6s as they are in hard cover.

3b, building collapses… correct “HE value of 2D6 or greater hits” is needed before you check to see if the build could collapse…. so if you dont have 2D6 /3D6 there is no point shooting buildings

Claudio Rieder
    Participant

Thank you for the quick reply. Then we have played most of it right šŸ™‚

3a) This is new to me, are you sure about this? I thought that if I shoot with a HE weapon at a unit in a building, I only have to hit the house, but not the unit and the modifier for cover does not apply. In the German rulebook on page 124 it is described like this, but it could also be a translation error.
    My question was about whether we applied the modifier for wounding correctly (regular unit = 4, HE 1 = +1, no additional protection in buildings as with firing with rifles so I have to roll a 3+ for a wound).

Nat
    Participant

Ok you can shoot either the Building or the unit…

AHĀ From the latest FAQ… HE also bypasses the hard cover a building gives (as well as the extra protection)…. hmmm intresting… I forgot that part (I’m blaming the lack of games in the last year :'( )

Page 124-125, HE weapons against buildings.ī“e second and
    third paragraph will be changed to read as follows:
    This means that when rolling to hit you ignore any to-hit
    penalties for cover. All other modifiers apply as normal ā€“
    for example, Down in this case might represent the unit
    hiding in the building and if the enemy misses the shot, this
    might represent the them not having taken the shot at all,
    and instead still be searching for the target (and similarly
    a small team is more difficult to spot inside a buildingā€¦).
    Last update: January 31 2021
    If you score a hit, this means that the shell has managed
    to find ā€“ or make ā€“ an opening. The unit inside that floor of
    the building suffers a number of hits equal to the ā€˜damage
    in buildingsā€™ value in the HE chart for that shell (D3, D6,
    2D6 or 3D6). If the unit is Down (units in buildings can
    react by going Down as normal when targeted by HE), the
    hits are halved as normal, rounding up. When hit by [ā€¦]

Claudio Rieder
    Participant

Perfect, thanks for pointing me to the FAQ, it’s very clearly written there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.