A few rules questions

Home Forums Historical Victory At Sea A few rules questions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andy Watkins
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Just a few questions that have come up.

Aircraft apply all modifiers except range. Torpedo bombers hit on a 5+ does that mean you add a further +2 because they are firing torpedoes, needing 7+ to hit?

Do you apply the silhouette rule?

Am I right in assuming that ALL deep deployed carriers can deploy all their aircraft straight away or do you need 10 scouting points?  I am specifically asking about deep deployed carriers.

From a post i just read I believe if enemy bombers are in contact with my ship they can still bomb the ship even if i have moved fighters to intercept them.

Just a little unsure about the tough and very tough rule for aircraft. One forum post suggests a ship is one weapon system, e.g. if a ship had 2 light gun batteries and AA you can fire all of them to get the 2 or 3 required hits?

Is it true that light guns destroy an aircraft with one hit regardless of whether it was tough or not?

SCOUTING

Both sides deploy their ships normally, THEN roll for scouting points and possibly redeploy. If both sides were able to redeploy their ships who redeploys 1st?

If you have 7 or more scout points all of your destroyers and cruisers you detached to scout can immediately be deployed on the board can’t they?

Thanks very much for any assistance, enjoying the game, a lot of fun.

Andy

Greg S
    Participant

Aircraft apply all modifiers except range. Torpedo bombers hit on a 5+ does that mean you add a further +2 because they are firing torpedoes, needing 7+ to hit?

That is not correct. Normal Aircraft apply no modifiers.  Only Kamikaze attacks apply modifiers.

Greg S
    Participant

Am I right in assuming that ALL deep deployed carriers can deploy all their aircraft straight away or do you need 10 scouting points?  I am specifically asking about deep deployed carriers.

That is not clear.  The rules for Deep Deployment say you can have ‘any number’ of their planes on the table, but the scouting table implies you need 10 scouting.

From a post i just read I believe if enemy bombers are in contact with my ship they can still bomb the ship even if i have moved fighters to intercept them

The rules do not prohibit the bomber’s attack.  Just don’t lose the dogfight before you chose to attack with you planes.

Just a little unsure about the tough and very tough rule for aircraft. One forum post suggests a ship is one weapon system, e.g. if a ship had 2 light gun batteries and AA you can fire all of them to get the 2 or 3 required hits?

Is it true that light guns destroy an aircraft with one hit regardless of whether it was tough or not?

AA guns and light guns fire at different times, I believe.  AA guns fire after the movement phase, while a ship opting to fire its DP guns at flights fires in its turn in the firing phase.  So no you cannot combine them.  DP light guns fire as AA weapons, so the Tough rule still applies,

Greg S
    Participant

SCOUTING

Both sides deploy their ships normally, THEN roll for scouting points and possibly redeploy. If both sides were able to redeploy their ships who redeploys 1st?

If you have 7 or more scout points all of your destroyers and cruisers you detached to scout can immediately be deployed on the board can’t they?

I would roll off to see who deploys first, with the highest roll getting the option.

And yes, 7 or more scouting allows the scouts to be deployed.

Nat
    Participant

All of these questions are in the offical FAQ (i’ll post a link in a min)

*Kamikazes dont apply modifiers as per the FAQ… all flights hit on the flights chart only EXCEPT FOR WHEN ATTACKING SUBS (for some STUPID reason!)… which is why Dive Bombers are simply the best flight in the game…

*DP fires when the ship fires NOT when the AA batteries defensive fire at the start of the gunnery phase.

*Deep Deploying Carriers doesnt affect how many flights it launches, it ONLY affects where the ship is placed…. you do need the FAQ for half the deep deployment rules!
    If you look in the ‘news from the wardroom’ thread I’ve posted up the flights 101 guide (and the 1 page turn guide) that will help…. (NOTE the how dogfights work is just 1 interpretation of how that section is written… I’m waiting for Warlord to update the FAQ with an actual example so I can update it)

The correct (RAW) order of game goes – roll for mission
    build list
    roll for who deploys first
    assign scouts
    deploy ships
    roll for scouts
    apply scouting points
    1st deploying player redeploys
    2nd deployig player redeoploys

The GAP (game as played) goes
    build list
    assign scouts, roll for scouts
    roll for deployment
    deploy.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Nat.
    Nat
    Participant

https://warlord-community.  warlordgames.  com/resources-victory-at-sea/

remove the double spaces after the full stops!

Andy Watkins
    Participant

Great thanks for thar

Andy Watkins
    Participant

Thank you for that, very helpful

Andy Watkins
    Participant

Thanks I will do that

Andy Watkins
    Participant

Thanks for the responses, I like to know exactly how to play a game and the rules do gloss over one or two circumstances 😀😀

Nat
    Participant

I will say there are some confussing answers in the FAQ… most of which are to do with points… (one of the reasons why there are a couple of alternative point systems over in the wardroom facebook group).

The FAQ also doesnt cover 100% of the stat related issues or rules interpretations (ie another being the returning ships diagram… is it the 6 pointing towards the rolling player or is the 6 player B’s table edge?) But it does cover most of the gameplay affecting ones.

Nat
    Participant

@GregS – Dogfights happen at the end of the gunnery phase, so Bomber will always be able to attack a ship they are in B2B with before the fighters get a chance to shoot them down…. actually engaging bombers (of any type) that are touching a ship is the worst thing to do as it stops defensive AA from targeting them.

Gunnery phase is effectively broken down in to 3 steps:
    Defensive AA (AA Batteries & local X) in the order of priority, alternating between players (not said in the FAQ but inferred)
    Ships gunner (all of a players flights count as a single ship, all of a players MTBs count as a single ship) – DP fires in this step & does ignore tough.. it basically allows ships to target flights (or split fire between flights and MTBs) using the AA to hit rules (ie normally a 6 needed but 5s V large aircraft – not affected by range bands)
    Dogfights – (this is a badley worded mess! theres at least 3 interpretations that I’m aware of….the one I put in the wardroom flights 101 I’m now sure ISNT correct…. :/ oh well)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.