A Dark and Bloody Background

Home Forums Historical Black Powder A Dark and Bloody Background

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    arcole
    Participant

What unit sizes should be used for this period? The seems to suggest that standard unt sizes are used, however, the unit packs from warlord seem to be half sized units.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Arcole – Do you mean unit size in terms of ‘small’, ‘ regular’, and ‘large’ or in terms of unit frontages, over perhaps figures?  Like all of the BP games the key things is that units of the same games size (‘small’, ‘ regular’, and ‘large’) have the same frontage in both armies.  How many figures you use in a unit is probably dependent on the figures you have available, and the size of table you have.

arcole
    Participant

Hi,

It is the disparity between the rules, the book, and the actual packs sold by warlord. For instance, the Warlord unit packs for this period seem to be based around a unit size of 18 figures. However, in the scenarios from the book, most units are set as “standard” size (i.e. not tiny, small or large), and have a stamina value of 3, even where the OOB given shows the units as being companies, rather than battalions.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Obviously Warlord would like you to buy their figures, but the rules and supplement aren’t written on the basis of any particular figure sets you buy from anywhere.  If you want a regular sized unit to be 18 figs then that will work ok.

Whether your unit represents a company or a battalion etc. is down to scale.  In some conflicts the battles were bigger than in others.  For example, in big European Napoleonic battles there could be 50,000+ per side.  Your unit of 20 figures may then represent a battalion.  In the FIW, which may have had just a few hundreds a side, then your 20 figure unit could represent a company.  As long as both armies are using the same approach it will work fine 👍

arcole
    Participant

Thank you

Cpl John
    Participant

Hi- sorry I took so long to reply to this. Not checking the Forums as often as I should. Dark and Bloody Ground lets you pick whatever size of unit you prefer to use. For example, if your fighting a small skirmish between Rangers and Native Americans you might make all the units 12 miniatures strong (which is what I tend to do)  and then treat this as a “Standard” unit with 3 stamina etc. If your going to play one of the bigger battles, such as Quebec, you might collect 20 strong British and French regular battalions. In this case, a 20 figure unit would become a “standard” unit and the Native American of Ranger units with 12 miniatures would become small units for that game. If you check out the scenario on page 94 (the Raid on Anytown), I split a single family into 2 small units- which could have 3 or 4 miniatures in each. Because we don’t remove miniatures to represent casualties, it makes the system very flexible and you can make up units sizes to suit the scenario or the miniatures you have to hand. Hope your enjoying the game- Pete Brown.

arcole
    Participant

Thamkl you Pete. I was slowly coming to that conclusions, but had not convinced myself.

Regards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.