A Couple of Rules Questions

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action A Couple of Rules Questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Haskeer
    Participant

Hi all –

Forward Arty Observers – seeing that they call in a bombardment using a fire order, I take it they can’t observe from within a transport?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that if you upgraded a transport with a weapon that causes it to lose its transport capacity, it then counts as an armoured car slot.

Could someone point me to the rule, please, or did I imagine it?

Thanks,

John

Master Chief
    Participant

Page 115 (attached):

Units in a transport can only be given Down orders not Fire orders, so they cannot call an arty strike while in a transport.

Page 153 (attached).

A transport loses its transport capability if it chooses a weapon.

Gordon L. Allen
    Participant

I agree with “Master Chief” on his answers with the following caveat, and bearing in mind I don’t have my rulebook in front of me –

As a US player, I can cite an example of this – if I take a Jeep and arm it with either a .30 cal or .50 cal machine gun, then it looses its transport capability and becomes an armored car.

However, in the case of a Truck or a Halftrack, one is able to add either HMGs or MMGs as appropriate, and the transport still retains the ability to transport troops. I just don’t remember where this is in the rules at the moment.

Regarding Forward Observers riding in transports – “Master Chief” is absolutely correct. In order to call in a strike, the observer must be given a “Fire” order. In order to do that, you have to dismount from the vehicle. However, I want to point out that you MAY have a SPOTTER riding in a vehicle that can still spot while remaining in the transport.

Hope this helps,

Gordon Allen

Haskeer
    Participant

Thanks to both.

Gordon, it states in the vehicles description whether it loses transport capabilities if taking a weapon.

John

Master Chief
    Participant

Yes US trucks will retain their transport capability because its entry does not say adding mgs will cause it to lose transport capability. Haskeer’s question is in the case where the vehicle entry says upgrading with weapons causes it to lose transport capability, it will count as an armoured car (or AA or self propelled vehicle) entry in the Force selection, and page 153 gives the rule.

However spotters in transport cannot spot. See attached page 17 of the FAQ.

Attachments:
    Gordon L. Allen
    Participant

Ok, I stand corrected on the Spotter thing, and that’s very good to know.

Thanks, everyone!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.