6 pdr guns on HMS Sophie

Home Forums Historical Black Seas 6 pdr guns on HMS Sophie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MGM
    Participant

HMS Sophie is a 14 gun brig armed with 6pdrs.
    I have it in mind to use the stats for light guns rather than the 2H listed in the rule book for brigs. Any thoughts ?

Lincolnlog
    Participant

There were a crapper load of ships that just don’t match the Fleet List.

It appears, and this is totally a guess on my part, guns 12 Pounds and smaller are Light, and 18 Pounds and larger are Heavy. Brigs were often no more heavily armed than sloops.

Many French ships didn’t have Obusier (their version of carronades). I’m playing with values on my ship custom ship cards.

invisible officer
    Participant

Hmmm, a HMS Sophie 14 gun brig armed with 6pdrs???

RN had 1688 – 1860 only 3 ships of that name.
    A Cruiser Cass brig with 2x pdr and 16 x 32 pdr Carronades , 1809 – 25
    A ship Sloop that was a former French privateer, taken 1798 by HMS Endymion and sold 1809, armed with 2x 6pdr and 16 24 pdr Carrobades.

And the French merchant La Sophie, taken 1782 , sold 1784, armed with 9pdr cannon.

Is it a creation of your own??? What is totally OK.

Lincolnlog
    Participant

I’m at work so I only have Three Decks as a reference, but I see 2 unrated HMS Sophie both Sloops, one 18 guns the other 16 guns. I have to assume InvisibleOfficer is using the same source since the guns types match.

invisible officer
    Participant

No. 😉
    I used paper, Lyon, Sailing Navy List, All the ships of the Royal Navy – Built, Purchased and Captured 1688 – 1866.

A 99% complete work.

There are some Sophias with a, but none a 14 gun.

I GUESS that MGM Sophie is named in honour of a “she”.
    Like one of my merchants.

Lincolnlog
    Participant

Nice, need to get that reference. I use British Warships in the Age of Sail 1793-1817 at home. A little heavy to carry in to work. 😉

MGM
    Participant

Re: HMS Sophie……. see “Master & Commander” by Patrick O’Brien (!)

invisible officer
    Participant

Hmm, O Briens novel Sophie is a Quarterdeck Sloop. No flushdeck one.

A Fantasy vessel invented, based on Chochrane’s HMS Speedy of 14 guns. 4 pdr guns ! With 12 swivels. And it was a flushdeck vessel.

Warlord Brigs……..

I found O´Brien entertaining but he made a lot of mistakes. Strangely few critics noticed them.

Steve Burt
    Participant

Most brigs had either light guns (9pdr or 6pdr) or carronades.
    I don’t know why the default brig in the game has heavy cannons, since I’m not aware of any historical examples of Brigs armed with heavy cannon.
    I’t easy enough to make up ship cards with Brigs armed with 2L or 2C.
    The question is, what should the point value be for a brig armed with 2L per side, or with 2C, instead of heavy cannon?

Looking at the ship points, I’d say a 2L armed brig should be 20 points less (so 60 points instead of 80), but what about 2C? Maybe 70 points?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.