Alongside the Bolt Action supplement Empire in Flames the Pacific and Far East we introduced two fantastic 1500pt armies – perfect to start your Island hopping offensive in the Pacific!
The first is designed around a typical Pacific US Marines reinforced platoon that would have been sent in to mop up the resistance on islands ‘skipped’ by the main forces.
Army List: USMC Island Assault Force 1500pt
Two special Battalions, designated by order of the president as USMC Raiders, were formed in 1942 – hand-picked, well trained, and highly motivated – they were well prepared when they first entered the fray on Makin Island at the start of the Solomons campaign and developed tactics and systems that were to shape the US Marines as we see them today.
- USMC First Lt (Veteran) 65 pts
- USMC medic (Veteran) plus 1 man 43 pts
- USMC Forward Observer – Air Force (Veteran) 90 pts
- USMC War Dog Team (Veteran) 18 pts
- USMC Raiders (Veteran) 1 NCO + 9 men (4 sub MG, 3 BAR, 3 shotgun) 186 pts
- USMC Squad 1 (early) (Regular) 1 NCO + 7 men (2 BAR) 90 pts
- USMC Squad 2 (early) (Regular) 1 NCO + 7 men (2 BAR) 90 pts
- USMC Sniper team (Veteran) 67 pts
- USMC Bazooka team 1 (Regular) 60 pts
- USMC Bazooka team 2 (Regular) 60 pts
- USMC Flame thrower team (Regular) 50 pts
- USMC 30cal MMG Team 1 (Veteran) 65 pts
- USMC 30cal MMG Team 2 (Veteran) 65 pts
- USMC 81mm Medium Mortar Team (Veteran) 65 pts
- M8 Scott (Regular) 140 pts
- LVT-4 (Buffalo) Amtrac (Veteran) 168 pts
- LCVP (Regular) 50 pts
- LCM (Regular) 125 pts
Army Contents: USMC Island Assault Force 1500pt
The packs in this set include:
US Marine Corps HQ
US Marines Plastic Box Set
USMC Sniper Bazooka & Flamethrower teams
USMC 81mm Mortar
USMC 30cal MMG Team Firing
USMC 30cal MMG Team redeploying
M8 Scott GMC
LVT-4 (Buffalo) Amtrac
Tarps & Rolls
WGB-DEC-002 Allied Stars
1 dog from WGH-IR-48 Unleash Hell!
That’s an awesome 49 troops, 2 weapons, 4 vehicles, plus decals, and a dog!
If you build your army as per the 1500pt list above you’ll have a spare marine or two, use them to operate the landing craft or simply convert to your hearts desire as casualties or objective markers. The dog is a special add-on to use with one spare plastic marine as a USMC War Dog Team as seen on page 104 of Empire in Flames. Check out RichD’s conversion of one here.
The Second is designed around a Japanese reinforced platoon that would have been set up on one of the many Islands to fight to the last and deny the enemy an easy victory.
Army List: Japanese Island Defence Force 1500pt
The Special Naval Landing Force troops were some of the best of all Japan’s fighting men. Deployed in amphibious landings, their well planned and fanatical attacks won them many victories. If however, they encountered a determined defence their light equipment often meant defeat. After one such defeat by an Australian force at Milne Bay, New Guinea, they would often be reduced to Garrison duty, where many were to fall resisting the US Marines.
- SNLF First Lt (Veteran) 90 pts
- SNLF medic (Veteran) 30 pts
- IJA Forward Observer – Artillery (Veteran) 115 pts
- IJA Major (Regular) 150 pts
- IJA Kempeitai Political Officer (inexperienced) 15 pts
- SNLF Squad 1 (Veteran) 1 NCO + 11 men (2 Sub MG, 1 LMG) 179 pts
- SNLF Squad 2 (Veteran) 1 NCO + 11 men (2 Sub MG, 1 LMG) 179 pts
- SNLF Grenadier Squad (Veteran) 1 NCO + 12 men (1 Sub MG, 2 light mortars, AT Grenades) 248 pts
- SNLF Sniper team (Veteran) 67 pts
- IJA Flamethrower team (Regular) AT Grenades 54 pts
- SNLF Medium Machine Gun Team (Veteran) 65 pts
- IJA Medium Mortar Team (Regular) + Observer 60 pts
- type 1 47mm AT gun (Regular) 75 pts
- type 91 105mm field gun (Regular) 85 pts
- type 95 Ho-Ga light tank (Regular) 90 pts
Army Contents: Japanese Island Defence Force 1500pt
The packs in this set include:
Imperial Japanese HQ
Japanese Special Naval Landing Force Plastic box set
IJA veteran squad
Imperial Japanese Sniper & Flamethrower teams
Imperial Japanese MMG Team
Japanese Type 97 81mm Mortar
NEW: Type 1 47mm AT gun
NEW: Type 91 105mm field gun
type 95 Ho-Ga light tank
Sarissa Watch Tower K007
Japanese Tank Decals
A grand total of 64 troops, 3 weapons (including the 2 latest guns – the 47mm Anti Tank Gun and the 105mm Howitzer), 1 watchtower, plus decals, and a tank!
If you build your army as per the 1500pt list above you’ll have a spare infantryman or two, simply convert them to your hearts desire as casualties or objective markers.
Don’t forget your Air Power!