Zulu Sweeping Advance

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Zulu Sweeping Advance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Big Al
    Participant

Having finally finished my Zulu War project, well, not finished, but sufficient to field both forces in a large game, it became apparent that the Zulu impis ahould be allowed to make a Sweeping Advance in the same way that cavalry can. Although p, we didn’t try this in last night’s game, it was something that occurred to me after a Zulu regiment destroyed an artillery piece and was unable to press home its hard fought advantage.
    I know that in BP, it is only cavalry that can execute the Sweeping Advance, but when you consider the way the Zulus fought, it makes total sense. Had it been Hail Caesar Rules, they could do it and I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t.
    I intend to put this in as a Special or Useful rule for the Zulus.

I would also suggest that this be added to the Beja in the Sudan.

Garry Wills
    Participant

Just to be clear you want the Zulus to be able to charge as they can already advance.

Regards

Garry

Big Al
    Participant

Yes. That’s what I meant when I said it was normally just cavalry that can do this. Hail Caesar uses the term Sweeping Charge. It is slightly different in those rules because of the requirement for the centre of the front to be in line with the target unit. Not as necessary in Black Powder.
    It makes sense for certain Native warbands and I will apply it as a Special Rule. I feel it should have been included in the Zulu supplement.

The other thing I’m going to “pinch” is the use of “blind” counters for the hidden movement of some Zulu units. I read this in a recent battle report by the Perry twins, where they used this for Zulu skirmish units. It allows the use of units going to ground and moving through the long grass and dead ground.

Garry Wills
    Participant

Well I would have thought that it is reasonable scenario specific modification for an aggressive infantry based army like the Zulus. It is hard to see any unintended consequences, except the Zulus winning faster.

Garry

Big Al
    Participant

It just didn’t quite feel right when they finally broke through that they just stopped and did nothing.
    I also toyed with adopting the support rule from HC for the Zulus. If you are not familiar with it, supporting units contact the fighting unit and then get to add a number of attacks according to the unit size, rather than the usual rules, but felt it was an unnecessary change.
    Using the rules as they are can often favour the British. The Zulus don’t usually stand a chance against the British firepower. Especially with artillery support.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.