Twin Barrel large guns

Home Forums Historical Cruel Seas Twin Barrel large guns

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    MIchael Wain
    Participant

The rules say adding an extra barrel to a weapon adds 1d6 damage . Is this still the same with larger guns like 4 inch and above? The IJN fast transport has a twin 5 inch gun forwards, which has got me thinking. In reality with guns of that size, they could fire the barrels individually and often did when ranging in or when firing salvoes (not full broadsides), so with these guns, I don’t think simply adding 1d6 really works.

TIA

Andrew Cree
    Participant

Agreed. It’s even worse when you consider HMS Abercrombie’s twin 15″ monsters go from 15D6 to… 16D6 by virtue of the extra barrel. Having said that, the big guns would be more often be aiming to straddle the estimated position of the target vessel, so as to increase the chance of a hit overall, rather than trying to hit with both guns together, meaning the target is more likely to get hit by splinters rather than full up hits.

One thing I have considered is whether a +1 damage per barrel per would be more useful than the +1D6 die. Though that in turn would be ludicrous should the aforementioned HMS Abercrombie receive her aft octuple pom-pom in place of her current double quad system – an average of 42 damage per hit would simply be obscene.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.