Target aspect modifers

Home Forums Historical Cruel Seas Target aspect modifers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    leopard
    Participant

I may be being a bit dim, but where in the rulebook is the modifier for the targets aspect?

e.g. easier to hit when the target is beam on and harder bow/stern on, default on the oblique or something?

seeing mods for range, target speed, acting craft speed and targets size but nothing for the aspect?

for torpedoes probably not needed as the rules mechanic covers it nicely but can’t see it for gun fire?

John Stallard

Hi Leopard, thanks for posting.. not dim at all… there are no modifiers for ships aspect…We thought about it, but figured it a bit fiddly to do..But we take your point that a ship head on is a different prospect to a broadside view..

As ever in gaming I reckon if you and your opponent thinks its a cool thing to do, then put in an appropriate – or+

best wishes john stallard

leopard
    Participant

this is disappointing I have to say, given the effect is in game for torpedoes. seen it done in other games very easily – given you already have 45 degree and 30 degree angles in game it wouldn’t be hard and when most ships are significantly longer than they are wide. Plus the various advanced systems you have included to not have something this basic seems curious.

given the care in the rest of the game, and the excellent choice to abandon a d6 and use a d10 for the “to hit” rolls, plus taking size etc into account this seems one that would have been expected.

On the plus side though thank you for a ‘proper’ rulebook and not the usual leaflets of recent games

for the record the way I’d have gone is to use the 30 degree arcs from the bow and stern for those aspects, then the same from the sides for beam on. the difference being an oblique aspect, easy to do with a template.

John Stallard

great plan.. that’s the spirit!!

js

Steve
    Participant

Late to this game so apologies for digging up this older thread.

I’ve not played a game yet (models in the post) so not sure of the impact my thought might have – for the bow/stern aspect, using Leopard’s 30 degree arc, I would consider declaring the target size being one smaller than normal.
    How this would impact the ‘to-hit’ mechanic I’ve yet to work out; not even having read the rules !!!

George
    Participant

Does it matter with boats so small, and weapons so automatic?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.