Support

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Support

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

I believe this was covered in the old forums. But the question regards “Support”.

My understanding is that a unit that engages in a melee at any point during a turn cannot also provide support later in the turn.

So if it defeats the unit it is engaged with and forces it to withdraw or break, it cannot subsequently “support” another melee.

If it gets a “sweeping advance” it cannot use that advance to position it to provide support.

A related question is if a subsequent engagement causes a friendly unit to “Break” do you consider a unit engaged in a previous melee but no longer in contact with the enemy as “theoretically” able to support per pg. 78 “Tests for Supporting Units”

Garry Wills
    Participant

On support I think you are incorrect. The rules state that units engaged in melee cannot support. But because the combats are not simultaneous but in an order driven by player choice, a unit that wins or lose a melee could end up in position to provide support in another, later combat. So the answer to your second question would be that the unit would take a test as a supporting unit. See page 67 of BP2 for this order of play procedure.

Consequently it can be important to resolve your melees in the right order, a flavour of DBA sneaking in.

Dr Dave
    Participant

I’m going to report that last post – I am sooo going to. You said DBA and I’m telling.

Big Al
    Participant

Garry’s right. There is nothing in the rules to confirm your suggestions. The rules only state what can support and what can’t.
    When a unit is in a position of support, it has no choice in the matter and the player has no choice as to whether it counts or not. That is in the rules. If two 7nits are in the same quarter and can support, only one will count, but and it is a big BUT, if the fighting 7nit loses and breaks, ALL units that were in a position to support, regardless of whether they were counted or not, MUST take a break test! It doesn’t matter if they were just stood there or were victorious and moved there immediately before the combat was fought, they test because a friendly unit failed a break test and broke within 6 inches of their flank or front. That is all in the rules!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.