SOPCom Unit – MacColla’s Lifeguard

Home Forums Historical Pike & Shotte SOPCom Unit – MacColla’s Lifeguard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Charge The Guns
    Participant

Well, I like a challenge so with just over a month to go I will throw my ‘blue bonnet’ in to the ring for the unit segment.

I’ve been saving the painting of this unit as a special treat. MacColla is one of my favourite characters from the War of the Three Kingdoms, and so his personal bodyguard is one of my favourite units.

It was made up of men from the Irish Brigade, mainly Hebrideans. I have therefore picked my favourite figures from the Warlord Highlander range. There is a wide choice so I’ve gone for those in the most dynamic poses so they look like they are in the midst of ‘falling on’ to their opponents.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Posting picture again.

Rough Rider
    Participant

Well.. good luck! Depending on the standard you are after 12 figures in a month could quite the task.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Thanks RR. I’m by no means a champion painter, and these guys will have lots of tartan, so I expect an adequate paint job only. 🙂

Good motivation to get them finished for September though 😉

Bill
    Participant

Send updates.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

First update 🙂

Flesh, shirts and socks done.

Corso
    Participant

Looking good 🙂

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Thanks Corso 🙂

Bill
    Participant

Wondering if you are going to give his lifeguard their own unique flag? If so, what would MacColla’s colors be? I’ve been debating this in my mind, myself.

Cheers

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Bill, yes I’m going to use a flag from a Uk company called Flags of War.
    https://www.flagsofwar.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_71_148&product_id=2274

They have a great range, especially for Montrose. Note that most of these are conjecture as there is little evidence, but they all seemed based on the best guesses we can make.

At Auldearn some accounts mention Alasdairs’s “yellow colour” so I’m using that one from Flags of War.

I already have a hand painted one for Alasdair’s command base but this will be quicker! 🙂

If you’re interested in Montrose then check out the Project Auldearn blog. Lots of excellent info and they have some flags you can download for personal use. Here is one of their posts on the Lifeguard.
    http://auldearn1645.blogspot.com/2012/09/maccolla-lifeguard-ready-to-take-field.html?m=0
    They have chosen to use flags linked to the regiment’s in the Irish Brigade, which also makes sense. I prefer having someone linked heraldicly with the big man himself as in the Flags of War option which have the Black Birlinn from the MacDonald heraldry.

Cheers,
    Andy

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Slow progress, but progress. Not got around to the tartan yet 😎

Bill
    Participant

looking great!

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Thanks Bill 🙂

Ready for basing.

Bill
    Participant

lovely! get some finished close ups. I’d love to see the tartans.

My Irish/ scotts look extremely boring compared to these. I guess mine are of a poorer stock!

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Thanks Bill 🙂

Here is the finished unit. Phew, just in time! I actually enjoyed having the deadline. Useful to get things done. I’m pleased with the unit overall although I think the tartan could be better.

Flag is from Flags of War.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.