SIMPLE rigging for black seas

Home Forums Historical Black Seas SIMPLE rigging for black seas

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andy Watkins
    Participant

I am sure some of you are great modellers with the skill and patience to do the rigging properly. I don’t 🙂

So for those of you who would like to do something to make your models look good but don’t want to bother with the full rigging take a look at what i have done.

Attached picture shows the simple steps i take to do the rigging in just a few minutes.

1 tie the cotton around the bottom arm of the back sail and apply a little super glue to hold in place.

2 take up to top arm of rear sail, loop it around and apply super glue. Thisthen leaves you the length of cotton you need to attach the big national flag to

3 take up to rear mast and loop around once. apply a little super glue

4 take up to main mast and loop around once. apply a little super glue

5 take up to fore mast and loop around once. apply a little super glue

6 take the cotton down to the bowsprit thingy and wrap it around half a dozen times, apply a little superglue and cut the cotton

7 i glue 2 of the paper triangular sails together and then apply super glue to the cotton between 5 and 6. Hang the triangular sails on this and apply some more super glue to give a good hold.

This one piece of cotton can be applied in about 2 minutes. It gives you somewhere to hang the big flag at the back, the little flag at the front and those little triangular sails at the front, it also gives a good “feel” of being rigged.

Now doing it properly is great but all the other bits you are supposed to do are much more fiddly than my simple approach.

I have now completed 4 1st rates, 9 3rd rates, 8 frigates and 10 brigs, all painted up and rigged like this. Whilst my painting skills a re pretty good my modelling skills are terrible so if i can do this anyone can.

invisible officer
    Participant

That’s a working option.

Hmm,you did too much. 😉

Nerd me would suggest to do not add 1 2 3 to that.

Black rigging stuff was tared and immobile, the 2 spar is like the others a moving one.

And it had no conection to Point 3. Fixing points had been much lower.

Andy Watkins
    Participant

I think my approach looks a bit like rigging to someone who doesn’t know any better…. like me…..

I don’t pretend any of it goes where it should go 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.