Ship cards and point costs

Home Forums Historical Cruel Seas Ship cards and point costs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sergei S
    Participant

With my Soviet box set ( plus Sub and Tashkent destroyer on the way) painted, I am contemplating getting more ships- either in 1:350 scale or scratch builds. Problem is with point costs. I have seen only bits and pieces on making own ship cards, but some of it does not make much sense. I can reverse engineer some costs, having point price available on weapons, speed, hull armor and such, not so much. Does anybody have built their own ship cards?

elcee
    Participant

Equipment and weapon costs were mentioned in the rulebook, you have to guess the rest. We had the same topic a while ago already. It’s more or less guess work, for small ships and destroyers we can compare with ships in the book, anything larger will be difficult (and the rules barely work for destroyers anyway).

In theory there should be a way to make a formula to estimate ship hps, but this would requires of testing. Small ships seem to have a lot more hitpoints than large ships, at least in comparison of the size. Unless WG shares their way to calculate hull point, you pick a value that seems appropriate and test it and adjust the points accordingly.

Renko
    Participant

I gave it a try for some Soviets. I think with hindsight it needs more thought on the 45mm and 76mm F34s

https://twtrb.blogspot.com/2019/01/down-rabbit-hole-fixing-bronekaters-in.html?m=1

Sergei S
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. Yep, I will try to reverse create those cards for some ships I want to introduce. Soviets also had some lend lease vessels that are mentioned in the rule book. Not to go overboard, I will try to do a couple of small boats, more reasonable destroyer than Tashkent and another medium size ship, close to Fugas in size.

elcee
    Participant

If your going for a ship that is comparable for anything in the rulebook, it should be easy. Substracting the point for weapon and other equipment form the total points cost will give you a value for the basic hull. At this part adjust speed and hullpoints, if you go faster add couple of points (keep in mind that you have to keep the 3knots steps, so rounding up/down might be required), same for hullpoints. Don’t just look for the ships of the nation your using, the cost should be comparable (more or less). Then add your weapons and your done.

Again testing might result in tweaks but its alot easier than starting from a blank data sheet.

Sergei S
    Participant

Exactly what I am planning to do. Thanks. Yep, besides some really weird Soviet stuff, others can be ajusted as per orher fleets.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.