Saxon painting guide

Home Forums Historical Hail Caesar Saxon painting guide

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bungo
    Participant

Can anyone recommend some relatively straightforward painting guides for Saxons? Preferably with Vallejo paints. I have a large stack to paint and I’m looking for some tips. I also have some Saxon light cavalry to paint up and I’m wondering what other forum members have done in the past?

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Bungo

I’ll have a crack at it. I’m not sure paint brand makes a big difference as we don’t know enough about shades of cloth dye from this time to be that precise. Basically you’re going to need plenty of brown shades and off whites. Wealthier individuals may add a tunic in red brown or russet, maybe dull green, or grey blue. Cloth dyes at this time may start bright but quickly dulled due to weathering. Saxons are thought to have liked edge detailing or contrasting on tunics and cloaks. Once again more so for high status individuals.

Hope this helps.

Bungo
    Participant

Thanks!

All I seem to do on these forums is ask for painting tips, but I’m struggling with off-whites. Any suggestions for a base colour to highlight would be gratefully received!

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Bungo,

Well, I’m no expert, but my recipe is Iraqi Sand as base, up to Beige as layer, and Ivory as highlight. (Vallejo Model Colour range names.) Could also use a wash like Soft Tone to add some contrast.

Also German Camouflage Beige, highlighted with Offwhite is worth a try.

I typically undercoat in black, but I’ve just been playing about with GWs new Contrast paint. I found their Wraithbone undercoat, with a liberal Agrax Earthshafe over it, gives a rather nice off white / dirty linen effect.

Bungo
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll pick up some extra colours and give the suggestions a bash.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.