Sails glue

Home Forums Historical Black Seas Sails glue

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Can anyone help me with what they are doing to attach sails….what adhesive are you using?thanks Chris

Lotharius
    Participant

Loctite super glue 3 is my friend

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Lotharius.
    John
    Participant

good quality super glue perfect some one the mast some on the sails however the flag seem to be more problem plastic glue paper glue super glue no effect

Andy Watkins
    Participant

I use tubes of super glue from poundland and I have never had any troubles at all

invisible officer
    Participant

“Super glues” / Cyanoacrylates are not ideal for paper. They settle with water, the humidity in the air. So dry rooms are not ideal for fast setting. Paper often “Drinks” it without real glue effect before it reacts. You might add a bit of humidity to spar. It helps a bit.

And Cyanoacrylate alone is brittle, thats why parts sometimes snap away.

I use a trick, a bit of Cyanoacrylate at one side and a bit of PVA White wood glue on the other . (Here the paper)
    The PVA adds flexibility and water, the Cyanoacrylate the fast setting. I use that for decades now.

It also works well with metal on metal or resin. For plastic to plastic I use the special plastic glues.

Chris
    Participant

Thanks these comments are vary helpful….I will experiment a little when I have some ships assembled!

Bob D
    Participant

Very helpful to me too as I am just about to start! Many thanks

Raymond Hutchison
    Participant

I’ve had some decent results by using the gel version of super glue. It tends to be a bit more controllable than the liquid variety.

Tony C
    Participant

I use UHU for the sails and ratlines and gorilla superglue for the rigging.

Gary Griess
    Participant

I use Woodland Scenics, Scenic accents glue. It is a thick tacky glue. I roll the sail around a paint brush handle to curve it, then I apply a thin line of the glue with a toothpick to the top edge of sail. With the tackiness it sticks to the spar on the first try and allows repositioning. once it is positioned I place a small amount where the base of the sail touches the mast. I curl the sail enough so that it fits between the spar and the platform on the mast.

Bruce Scott
    Participant

Super Glue Gel (Selleys brand). Gives a little bit of time for repositioning and seems to work fine on the cardboard sails.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.