RULES QUESTION: Gun Position Defined

Home Forums Historical Black Seas RULES QUESTION: Gun Position Defined

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lincolnlog
    Participant

Okay a little confused and can’t find where to clear this up. Your 1st and 2nd Gun positions that fire in the turn, do so without penalty. The 3rd Gun position is -1, and the 4th is -2 (IIRC)?

Is a gun position all the guns facing one side of the ship, or is all of one type of gun facing one side of the ship.

Example: If my first rate fires all its port/left side guns, and the starboard side gun, and the bow chasers and the stern chasers in that order, is it no penalty for all Port and Starboard guns, then -1 Bow Chaser, -2 Stern Chaser?

Or is it my heavy port side will fire first no penalty, my port side carronades 2nd with no penalty, my port side lights -1, my starboard side heavies and anything else I fire -2?

George
    Participant

I didn’t find the definition of ‘gun position’ too clear either. It seems an inappropiate term for AoS warfare, and perhaps a left over from Cruel Seas?
    I agree with your first definition ( since with the second definition you would go beyond four ‘gun positions’). There is a diagram early in the rules illustrating the four gun positions, viz:
    (in no particular order) starboard broadside
    port broadside
    bow chaser
    stern chaser
    Hope this helps. And perhaps the author could clarify?

Lincolnlog
    Participant

Thanks George. I’ve watched some YouTube play throughs and that was their interpretation also.

Hopefully we can get a firm answer, but I believe you are probably correct.

We’ve done it assuming each Gun Icon on the card is a gun position. So a 5th Rate could sail in between two enemies, and shoot, for example, Port side Heavy Cannon and Light Cannon at no penalty, then continue a move and then fire Starboard side Heavy Cannon at -1 penalty, and then the light cannons at -2. Naturally, if you are mixing in stern and bow chasers, these also count.

EDIT, no each position is indeed a facing, and each ‘position’ can fire all its guns and count as one position firing.

Steve Burt
    Participant

I think each Gun Position is a side.
    So Port, Starboard, Bow, Rear

Yep, re-read this morning, its each ‘facing’ = a position.

MGM
    Participant

…. I’ve assumed “one type of gun facing one side of the ship.” ie: port H.. L.. C = 3 guns positions based on the reasoning that the minus deduction is due to smoke which must be from the same side (?)
    It obviously needs the author(s) to give a clear definition

Steve Burt
    Participant

I think the deduction is because there are not enough gunners to fire more than two sides of the ship, not because of smoke. All guns on a side would fire at the same time.

Steve Burt
    Participant

There is a clear diagram showing the 4 gun positions on page 15 of the rules

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.