Redoubt’s and fleches

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Redoubt’s and fleches

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Peter
    Participant

Guys I’m wondering what infantry formations are considered ok when deployed in a redoubt or fleches be it an enclosed one or not …. doing 1812 Russian campaign battles soon . Thanks Peter

Garry Wills
    Participant

I tend to consider them as linear obstacles and assume that the units are in line or skirmish. I think columns are inappropriate. Alternatively you could consider them as buildings in which case formation is not important. However I think to make them buildings is to make them unrealistically strong. Just my opinion though.

Mike
    Participant

When you get into special terrain, you need special rules.

The Clash of Eagles Supplement does have some rules for Earthworks and Entrenchments.  Mostly, they suggest defining them as light cover or heavy cover and require you establish the capacity of said features… like one artillery unit and one standard infantry unit, etc.

I think the formation should be “irregular” formed line.  So the unit fires with the proportion of the line facing the enemy but H-t-H with the entire unit.  You can decide whether the unit has flanks or a rear quarter, my sense is any quarter the unit can fire out of would be a “front quarter” and any quarter the unit can’t fire out from would be a flank or rear quarter.

For a combat result modifier, the value should be defined like buildings using a value of 1-3.  Be careful against making them to powerful.

Peter
    Participant

Ok I see what you both are saying but if there’s a batter they’re then the infantry is in the rear line or column . If no battery is it like a building ? Yes if it’s enclosed perhaps but I’d there is an exposed rear to it . Now I’m gaming Shevadorino so it has a rear facing

Peter
    Participant

I just sort of struggle with line ,yet I acknowledge the firing or combat restrictions , I know BP says a line can bend etc  but  they were not covering acres if space????

Peter
    Participant

Ok guys … thoughts please and I was the French!!

twice different Russian  infantry units in the redoubt  were broken and removed due to supporting and/or potentially supporting  units  in combat outside being broken in combat

definitely changed the battle???

Charge The Guns
    Participant

That is a tricky one, Peter. I can see arguments for and against.  I can imagine troops in the safety of the redoubt ignoring the rout of nearby friends, but also what happens if those routing friends rout back in to the redoubt for safety and spread panic.   The first option, where the defenders ignore the break, makes the redoubt more valuable so perhaps it’s a matter to be agreed before the game based on how much impact you want it to have?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.