Prussian Artillery in the FPW

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Prussian Artillery in the FPW

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark Stanoch
    Participant

I just finished re-reading Howard and am now reading Wawro. I am struck by how quickly the Prussians were able to create “grand batteries” of artillery and deploy them exactly where needed. So I am considering allowing the Prussian player to move and reassign ownership of the artillery of one brigade to an adjacent brigade. This will allow the Prussian player to consolidate his artillery at the point of attack. Comments?

invisible officer
    Participant

FPW for the war 70/71? With Bavarians and other non Prussian contingents……. Just to make sure. 😉

Well, the “gezogene Gussstahl 6pfdr mit Kolbenverschluss” in the 1867 variant was far more modern than a la Hitte Napoleon. Not just being no longer a muzzle loader.

The crew of Prussian Feldartillerie was no longer walking. The seats on the C/64 carriage gave the German artillery a higher speed on most terrains.

The speed was similar to the older agile horse artillery.

The divisions had a Hauptreserve of six or more Batteries. The worked together and supported the single battery that close supported a regiment of 3 Battalions. With the more agile new carriages they could form a heavy fire support line fast.

The Hauptreserve also included 1/3 of the Divisions infantry.

It was not the “Brigade” (= Regiment) artillery that combined into a “Grand battery”

So historically the idea would be wrong.

Mark Stanoch
    Participant

Thank you for your prompt and insightful response. Would you suggest then that Prussian Artillery movement rate be increased to reflect the speed in which they deployed?

And yes indeed I am referring to the conflict of 1870-71.😉

invisible officer
    Participant

Yes, I think that would give the Prussian gamer a small advantage.
    Another problem of the French was that the rifled La Hitte System did not work well, the German guns shot much more accurate. And faster.

Well, with the disadvantage from Zündnadelgewehr against Chassepot the Germans needed that advantage. I dare to say that the war was won by the artillery. Even the 64 cannon Version was better than the French “Napoleons”.

Mark Stanoch
    Participant

Yes, in addition to being muzzle loaders, the French artillery used timed fuses rather than contact fuses used by their German opponents. Which brings up another issue: what should the firing stats be for artillery? I am thinking that the French should use the standard 3/2/1 but the Prussians should be something like 5/5/5. What are your thoughts?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Mark Stanoch.
    invisible officer
    Participant

Simple answer: Try it.
    If they are too good lower it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.