Proximity Rule Movement Requirement

Home Forums Historical Pike & Shotte Proximity Rule Movement Requirement

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mark Prichard
    Participant

I understand that once a unit is within 12 inches of an enemy, the unit can only move within its front and rear quarter. This becomes problematic if an enemy unit is within 12 inches but on the unit’s flank or behind it. How do you turn the unit around to face the enemy?

Can you give the unit an order to change formation so it can face the enemy then it can move forward in its front or rear quarter? Or are you indeed stuck creeping backward at an angle in hopes that at some time the enemy will be in your front quarter?

Dr Dave
    Participant

I’m not sure I can visualise your scenario. Just remember that when playing the proximity rule it states that the unit has to stay within its front or rear quarters. This is to stop side-sliding when you’re meant to be pinned to the front. It doesn’t stop a unit changing formation or facing. It just needs to remain within its original front or rear quarter. That’s my understanding of it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Dr Dave.
    Rough Rider
    Participant

That is my understanding as well.

Mark Prichard
    Participant

I think that is what is confusing to me. How do you change your facing to meet a threat from your flank and still remain in your original front/rear quarter?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Mark Prichard.
    Rough Rider
    Participant

There is a fair amount of ambiguity here but as I understand it, you have to spend movement wheeling around to face the new enemy. Once that is done you effectively have a new Front/rear corridor and can then move toward the enemy if you desire, even Charge if that is the order given.
    If I had any MSPaint skillz whatsoever I would attempt a diagram….

Mark Prichard
    Participant

So by wheeling around you mean back up in the rear quarter at the best angle or actually wheeling around?

Rough Rider
    Participant

Actually wheeling. It could either pivot on a corner or wheel around the centre point of the regiment/squadron/whatever. In either case it would be staying in it’s front-rear corridor. I believe the intent of the rule was to keep units from crab walking around to flanks in an unnatural fashion to get an advantage.

Mark Prichard
    Participant

Okay. We will try that next time we play.

Thank You.

Rough Rider
    Participant

The rule has been the source of a lot of discussion and there are a few different interpretations I have read. Given the loosey-goosey nature of the movement rules in general our interpretation above is fairly liberal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.