Pike and Shotte Combined Units

Home Forums Historical Pike & Shotte Pike and Shotte Combined Units

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Corso
    Participant

Hi all

What are your thoughts about the combined pike and shot units from the supplement To Kill a King? Since I am thinking of doing a protestant army, I am entertaining the idea of doing my foot regiments as single combined units instead of separate units of pike and shot, but have never tried them on the tabletop.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Corso. I think the combined units idea will certainly speed up the game if you have a lot of units. Before P&S came out my club tried a large Marston Moor using adapted Black Powder. In this size of game having separate Pike and shot units became unwieldy. More recently, fighting smaller engagements with P&S, with maybe 10-20 units a side (which in 28mm will still fill a 6’ x 8’), I have been happy with separate units. It makes it feel more like a pike and shot game for me.

One concern I would have with combined units is trying to ensure it doesn’t feel like you’re playing a Black Powder game with different figures.

David
    Participant

I play 30yw and do combined units works great for large games.

Corso
    Participant

Thanks for the replies guys

From games I played with my friend we did find infantry units sometimes unwieldy in battles of 800+ points. Besides I think historically speaking a regiment acted as a single unit, not three separate ones, sometimes even several regiments combined to form a single unit. Also, with separated units, the role of commanded musketeers can be done by any musket units, whereas in combined regiments, their role is more defined.

On the other hand to recreate the swedish brigade system, you have to use separate units……..

David
    Participant

Well you could make a Swedish Brigade one unit. Give it large unit for musketeers? Just a thought or combine it as 3 units and add the stats for 3 units together.
    Just thinking out loud never tried these.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.