Paint

Home Forums Historical Black Seas Paint

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Greg
    Participant

I only have access to Vallejo paints and therefore need assistance in matching the Army painter colors to Vallejo. I don’t know why Warlord don’t have a Vallejo set and a Army Painter set for each nationality. Most probably having the paints mixed will keep both ranges moving.

Pure Red AP – ?AV
    Oak Brown AP – ?AV
    Dragon Red AP – ?AV
    Leather Brown AP – ?AV
    Spaceship Exterior – ?AV
    Brainmatter Beige – ?AV

The other gripe is why so many different browns can’t one just use one for the deck and a lighter one to detail. And Red can’t one be used for US, UK and Spain? must one be Pure Red and another Dragon Red?

Cheers

John
    Participant

THEY HAVE A SET U CANBUY DIRECT

Greg
    Participant

I hear you John but the issue is the UK and French paint sets are sold out and these are the ones I’m interested in and in my part of the world I can only get Vallejo. So if I’m to recreate the set here in my part of the world using Vallejo I will need a Vallejo substitute for the Dragon Red of Army painter. The follow up to this was if I have obtained a substitute for Dragon Red why can’t I use it for the Pure Red of Army painter in the US set too. Why two different reds, does it make such a difference? And so too for all the browns for the decks in the different sets. Have a standard for all ships say sails off white; decks flat brown with old wood for high lights, one red for all the red on any of the ships etc. The KISS principal or is it about paint sails too.

John
    Participant

U CAN GET STUFF ON EBAY AND SHIPPED OVER OR TO EXPENSIVE

Lincolnlog
    Participant

Greg,

If you are located in the U.S. I recommend Miniature Market. Good prices and reasonable shipping.

Bob

invisible officer
    Participant

Well, the deck was often so overworked with the “bible” stone that it looked near White. A greyish one.Not Brown

The red used inside the bulwark was no bright one but with a bit of brown. USN often used green instead.

The hull “yellow” of RN had many variations.

And hull Brown of French and Spanish was very different. Both navies had ships in many different shades, including reddish Brown. And they used other colors, like yellow. . Santisima in red. I like that the Spanish offer so many color options. With the big flags we need no “fleet Color”

You should not forget that many ships had been out for long times. UV light and salt changed the colors a lot. And paint costed money.

Greg
    Participant

Thank you all for the comments.

Andy Watkins
    Participant

I agree, don’t bother with 2 reds and in this time period there was no uniform colour scheme?

I believe Nelson popularised the victories famous colour scheme but plenty of British and other nationality ships were painted all kinds of colours

I believe even the expert restorers of the victory right now can’t agree what colour the ship really was, anything between a brightish yellow and a much duller orange colour.

This was well before the age of Dulux, Vallejo and other synthetic paints. Think they used what they could get and I believe individual ship captains were allowed to tart up their ships as they wished??

Andy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.