Number of stands in a 15mm cavalry regiment?

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Number of stands in a 15mm cavalry regiment?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    richard zamudio
    Participant

What is the correct number of stands for a small, medium, and large cavalry formation?

Richard C
    Participant

I don’t think the number changes just the size so 4,6,8. Could be wrong.

Richard C
    Participant

Sorry I posted for infantry

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Richard, I’m not too sure on the question but I think you might be asking about the number of Warlord epic scale ‘stands’ in a unit?

I’m not sure what Warlord expected, but for the rules to work best the key thing is that the same convention is used by both sides. It’s a good idea if all units (infantry or cavalry) are just about the same frontage for the size of unit.  I like to think a large unit should have twice the frontage of a small unit and that a regular sized unit is something in between.  This works, in my head, based on the typical stamina values of differently sized units.

In my group we’ve found the rules work more smoothly if most units on both sides are regular sized with just the odd one being small or large.

Hope this helps?

richard zamudio
    Participant

Well, I am suffering from a poorly phrased question. What I am really looking for is how many stands per regiment. If 120 men make up a squadron, and let us say there are 8 squadrons,  how many stands represent that regiment? In many systems that would be 4 stands. Am I to assume that a single stand in Epic represents a regiment or do I make enough stands to make a small, medium, or large regiment (formation)? I appreciate everyone’s patience in this matter.

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Richard, sorry that there is not a simple answer to your question.  The Black Powder rules give you the flexibility to decide how to build your units so that you can use them if you already have a collection and what ever sort/scale of figures you have.  This does make it trickier for people starting out.

The BP rules don’t work in stands.  The rules work in terms of a unit that can be three sizes: Regular, Small, and Large. This is the approach I suggest.

1.  The first thing to do is to decide what you want a BP unit to represent.  I think for Napoleonics many people have a BP unit = 1 battalion of infantry, or 1 regiment of cavalry, or 1 battery of artillery.
    2. You then have to decide how many figures, or in your case with Warlord Epic figures ‘stands’, you want to make up a Regular unit.  If you’re using the approach suggested in 1 then you need a Cavalry regiment in line to have the same frontage as a battalion of infantry.
    3. Once you’ve got that sorted, you can then decide on the size for large and small units.

I suspect in the special edition of the BP rules that come with the Epic box sets it probably makes some suggestions on this, but I can’t be sure as I’ve not seen it.

Hope this helps?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.