New to trailing of ye olde pike and fumbling with my match…

Home Forums Historical Pike & Shotte New to trailing of ye olde pike and fumbling with my match…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Slartybartfast
    Participant

Good morrow gentlefolk,

I am a total novice to this period and returning to war gaming after 20 years and have found that my brains have turned to mush in the interim. I have a few questions regarding P&S and I hope someone will look kindly upon this plea for assistance.  Up front I apologise unreservedly if these questions seem blindingly obvious to you, but they don’t to me as I believe I may have “over thought” them and   have got  one’s nether garments in the perverbial twist. Brain the size of a planet I have not, but I do make a nice cuppa.

Q1 Disorder: A unit disordered by shooting cannot receive any further orders but can take an initiative move. Does this mean that it it must fall back one move and then can fire at the dastardly unit that so disordered it? Or does it simply fall back and try and pull itself together without firing? OR can it stand it’s ground and fire?

Q2 Can a unit that successfully breaks an enemy unit in close combat (ie, the enemy is removed from the table), turn/ wheel on the spot as part of a “change formation” option”.

Many thanks in advance and I am sure there will be more questions to follow!

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Slartybartfast! Welcome to the forums.  You are always very welcome to post any questions – we all get a bit stuck and confused sometimes!

If your unit is disordered by the enemy shooting then in your next turn it can’t receive any orders as you say.  It can move on Initiative, but only to fall back from the unit that disordered it.  It doesn’t have to fall back – your choice.  Whether it fires or not in your turn is also your choice.  You fire with a -1 penalty when disordered, but its normally worth firing if you can.

If you are lucky enough to break all of the enemy facing you then you can turn the whole unit around to face any direction you want.  (Remember that some troops, like Gallopers, have to make a Sweeping Advance when they can.)

Hope this helps. Please feel free to come back and ask any questions you may have, and also tell us about your P&S games, and show us your armies – we love eye candy here 🙂

Slartybartfast
    Participant

Many thanks CtG! Answers to just what I needed and very much appreciated! Still slowly working through the mechanics and there will be other questions to raise and ponder shortly. No games played as yet.

I can share (hopefully, as I’m not a technowhizz) some photos of some of my units in the meantime (nb, I’m no photographer either…)

Slartybartfast
    Participant

Sir Lewis Dyve’s Foote

Slartybartfast
    Participant

And a Horse regiment

Slartybartfast
    Participant

And I have leanings towards a certain faction… “Get down, Shep!”

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Beautiful work there, Slartibartfast! Those units would grace anyone’s table top.

Rough Rider
    Participant

Wonderful painting SBF!

Slartybartfast
    Participant

Thank you kind Sirs, for the gracious comments!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.