New Ancients Player

Home Forums Historical Hail Caesar New Ancients Player

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve Beadle
    Participant

I’ve just downloaded the Hail Caesar PDF.Thank you Warlord Games for your generosity. However, I’ve never been an ancients player and was wondering if someone would care to suggest a good army to start with. I’m not looking to win every time just once in a while when the dice forget who’s rolling them. Thanks

Rough Rider
    Participant

Welcome to Ancients gaming. Rule systems like Hail Caesar are really designed for players that have an interest in recreating battles from a specific period or conflict. There really isn’t a “good army to start with” per se although any of the plastic starter armies (such as Caesarian Romans) are good jump off points and allow you to collect a lot of figures quickly.

Steve Beadle
    Participant

Thanks. I’ve never played anything earlier than Lion Rampant games and haven’t considered how huge a period Ancients cover. One of the plastic starter armies is a good idea though.

invisible officer
    Participant

If you want an army that can be used against many Ancient armies a Celtic one is the logical choice.
    They fought Hellenistic Greeks, Republican and Imperial Romans, Germans, Spaniards, Punics and others. Especially: Other Celts.

Steve Beadle
    Participant

Thanks. I didn’t realise the Celts fought so many people.

Wesley Myers
    Participant

They also offer lots of different troop types: chariots, cavalry, slingers, archers, sword, spear, armoured, unarmoured, etc.

Many, many manufacturers make Celts so the variety of poses and equipment is probably unrivaled in 28mm.

Probably just as many make Romans, but being more uniform, the poses and variety of equipment are just not there.

If you like painting and spending lots of time doing it and a lot of variety and colours then that is another bonus for Celts.

Steve Beadle
    Participant

Thanks. They sound ideal.

Wiegraf
    Participant

Celts are an awesome army to start out with. As said, they fought so many different people. You can make “generic” looking Celts to represent Britons, Gauls, Galatians, etc.

The other benefit is that so many armies hired Celts as well. So if you ever say want to start a Carthaginian army and you already have a ton of Celts, you’ve got a good chunk of your army already there.

Steve Beadle
    Participant

Thanks. It sounds like the celts have the flexibility I was looking for.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.