My entry for the SUMMER OFFENSIVE PAINTING COMPETITION

Home Forums Historical Bolt Action My entry for the SUMMER OFFENSIVE PAINTING COMPETITION

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Reinwood
    Participant

Hello and thanks for looking,

This is my entry for the Summer Offensive painting Competition. I’m aiming for Best Paraded Army.

I’ve been meaning to finish a reinforced platoon at around 1000 points that would be acceptable for the Theater Sector: Soviet Trans-Baikal Military District found in the Ostfront book. I’ve recently read a little about the short conflict between the Soviets and Japanese, and I’ve been wanting to play my friends who have Japanese platoons.

So without further ado, I present to you what I have completed and what I need to finish this summer.

Attachments:
    Reinwood
    Participant

The Reinforced Platoon is as follows:

1st Lieutenant/w 1 man
    2 LMG Squads of 10 men
    2 Cavalry Squads of 10 men
    Rifle Squad of 12 men/w flag bearer
    1 Captain /w 1 man
    Commisar
    Medium MG Team
    Light Mortar Team
    Anti-tank gun: 45mm Model 1937
    Tachanka
    BA-6 Armored Car
    Truck

Matt Bell
    Participant

Hello,

I was taken with the idea of the painting competition but struggled for what to do as I like converting the figures to create new poses. Then one evening in hospital (a long and different story) I came across a video of a 6pd gun being unhitched from a jeep and set up for firing – so that got my ideas flowing and I came across the attached picture – for inspiration purposes only from the following location
    (https://brooklynwargaming.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/brit6pdr.jpg) – sorry its a rival company.

Now this could not fall into the unit category as the number of men is too high but it can come into the diorama, it will require a lot of surgery on figures to get the poses right but I will give it a go. I am as yet undecided whether to include a universal carrier instead of the Loyd tractor.

Attachments:
    Dr Dave
    Participant

Warlord don’t make a Loyd – yet? But I do like your thinking.

Be careful with unit serials and AoS panels / numbers. Only units that landed “wet” straight onto the beasches on 6th June used Universal carriers for towing 6 pdrs. All the others use Loyds.

Matt Bell
    Participant

Dave – thanks for the info I have not goats far as unit numbers and will have to see how the composition looks with and without a tow. The 3rd Canadian Division used UCs to tow 6pdrs.

Matt Bell
    Participant

Here are a couple of update photos – progress is slow as I am fitting it around some commission work and recovering from a stay in Hospital. – Can’t post pictures as I have taken them at a resolution that is too high so they are too big to upload.

Dr Dave
    Participant

Matt, yes you’re right. 3rd Canadians landed wet so used Universals.

Another note: IF your model allows for ammo to be seen, use APDS and HE. A veteran I met told me that they only had these two types (no smoke or APCBC). I’ve recently acquired a book about the Tyneside Scottish in Normandy and it has several photos of their 6pdr crews loading APDS.

Jim Ripley
    Participant

Very cool Matt . It seems the 1/35 scale company RICH must have seen your photo as they are releasing a kit of that gun and crew .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.