Mounted Infantry

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Mounted Infantry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Richard Halcomb
    Participant

Hi all, really quick clarification needed, before I start playing.

When a standard sized Mounted Infantry Unit dismounts, do they dismount as a standard sized Infantry Unit? Or as the usually lesser number of figures that they were as a Mounted Unit?

Many thanks, in advance!
    Richard

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Richard,

From what I can see, the main rules (p103) do not say that you dismount as a smaller size of unit. It does say that, mounted and dismounted, the unit may have different stats. I’m not sure if any of the supplements covering troops that typically did this (e.g. Glory Hallelujah) specify troops stats for mounted and dismounted, that may take this in to account.

Perhaps Dr. Dave will wander by and gives us his view?

My gut reaction is that this is the sort of minutia that BP ignores, so just got for the same size of unit.

Dr Dave
    Participant

In “Glory Hallelujah!”, as Charge the Guns says, we ignore the 1 in 4 horse holders. It’s too small to be bothered with in the tiny / small / standard / large units we deal with. BUT, they can have different stats and the dismounted units (in GA) are always skirmishers.

Richard Halcomb
    Participant

Thanks, that helps! I am mainly doing British Colonial period (Sudan, Zulu, and Boer Wars), and the troops seem to be mostly fielded in the supplements as either mounted, or dismounted, at the start of the game.

Thanks again!

Charge The Guns
    Participant

You’re welcome, Richard. Please come back and tell us how you get on!

Richard Halcomb
    Participant

Thanks… I am cheating, and doing it in 15mm (Yes, I know… Not the One, True Scale!), as I had a shed-load of figures that I bought around 20 years ago, but never found rules that inspired me to paint. Black Powder 2 gave me that inspiration. Thank you, Mr. Priestly!

Mark Stanoch
    Participant

Hi Richard, I too am exploring Colonial wargaming using BP II. So your question on Mounted Infantry is particularly relevant regarding the Zulu! Supplement. I am curious if you have attempted play of any of the scenarios in that supplement yet. I find that the deployment of mounted infantry is rather vague in a number of the scenarios (ie, in Nyezane, are the British MI deployed as mounted or unmounted?).

Dr Dave
    Participant

Mark – start them mounted. That’s how they got there after all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.