Motozattera – ‘almost immune to torpedoes!’

Home Forums Historical Cruel Seas Motozattera – ‘almost immune to torpedoes!’

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    Participant

I have just been given a Motozattera model and been doing some research. It seems these landing craft did some serious work in WWII including repelling the Allied attack on Tobruk (Operation Agreement). However I note in their stat line in the rulebook it does not mark them as immune to torpedoes as are other barges (eg I have a Landing Craft Guns model which is so marked.) With a less than 6 foot of draft I suspect this should also be true of the Motozattera and very similar design German Marinefahrprahm. I would say we tend to play the -2 option for ‘Tiny, small and barges’ as per table. I suspect other players may have noticed this but it does not appear in the errata that I can see.

invisible officer
    Participant

Well, hmmm.

Source Kriegstagebuch 2. Landungsflottille  about sinking of F420, under Oberbootsmann GEIGER.

22.09.1943 Leutnant zur See SCHLIEPHACKE , 2. Landungsflot. , with F420, F360, F587, F616  with F450 and F749 of  4. Landungsflottille on way from Bastia to Piombino.

At  18.02  a periscope was seen  18.25 four torpedoes from starboard. One hit F 420 at the section III and heck was ripped of. 10 Minutes later it was down. 10 men kia, 9 rescued.

In Gröner the MPF was part ot the 4th but the KTB is a first rate contemporary source.   Submarine was the Polish Dzik.

Long story, short:  In W II  these vessels had not been immune to torpedoes.

Ian
    Participant

Interesting, good find but for me that feeds into not playing as actually ‘immune’ but simply use the modifier for a barge which effectively this very nearly is. I am sure the same could have happened to other shallow draft boats. I can’t believe a vessel as large as the Landing Craft Guns could not have suffered a similar fate if a torpedo stayed close to the surface. Wikipedia has the draft of the MZ at 1.7m and the LCG at 1.07 at the front but 1.83 at the aft.

invisible officer
    Participant

Well, there are some more MFP sunk by torpedoes. Like F 541 by british submarine   .   Others got badly  damaged like F 334 by Soviet MTB.

Even the Räumboote had not been immune.  Example : 16. April 44  R 15 was lost at Kap Salvore due to torpedo hit. Just 5 survivors.

Or S 27, self sunk by S 72 Torpedo  and     S 33 by Allied torpedo .

It was just a question of setting and fuze type.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.