Most Recent Marston Moor Article and a Typo

Home Forums Historical Pike & Shotte Most Recent Marston Moor Article and a Typo

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Erik E
    Participant

Very excited to read the Marston Moor battle report in the most recent newsletter. I have hopes to complete that battle this year once the repairs to my game room and the rest of the home are completed following a sprinkler failure during the winter.

Would it be possible to get a list or an OB of the units that were used in the report as presented in the Pike and Shotte rules? I would be grateful for that if Mr. Stallard would not mind.

I think there may have been an overactive autocorrect during the editing of the article. Half way down there is an aside about the dice tower located on the right hand side of the table. The word is probably meant to be “contraption” but came out as “contraception”. Otherwise, yep, I would not be interested in more children with that around – LOL!

Thanks for all the fun with the hobby for the years.

Erik

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Erik,

Very sorry to hear about your sprinkler problems. It sounds very messy!

I can provide you with the OOB for that game although it was only based on Marston Moor, rather than being a full recreation. The game was the Friends of General Haig annual Christmas game from the end of 2018. We do a different large, multiplayer game on the last club meeting of the year. These games are always set up so everyone can take part, and that each player has individual victory conditions, as well as playing the overall game. These games are typically fairly light hearted.

The game in the report was set up so each of the 12 players had a roughly equal force of troops. Each scored victory points for breaking enemy units, and also lost points for losing their own units. Each player also had a special objective, and also a unique special bonus for their command. At the end of the game we tot up the victory points and crown the “best player in the club” for another year. (I yet again won the wooden spoon mainly due to my command blundering off table on the last turn – ouch!)

I will dig out the OOB and share it once I’m back from Salute (where we are demo-ing a more serious battle recreation!).

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Erik,

Here are the details of the ‘Marston Moor’ inspired game. I have put the details on Google Drive – hope this works for you.

Overall description for the game.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14fpKrl6dD5uFCtN4_9CIcAfhyTIRZB7d/view?usp=sharing

Troop rosters
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R8tyRVryrF1fJ-5PhvDqh27lfX262ulM/view?usp=sharing

The Challenges and Advantages that were randomly assigned to commanders. Duplicated for each army.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jURbw2fRNmSUFUk86_O35D-VwQ0d7-7A/view?usp=sharing

Erik E
    Participant

Charge the Guns –

I cannot, honestly, cannot thank you enough for those links. Please accept my sincere appreciation for taking the time to post the documents and I will be making it my mission to play that spectacular game as the first kickoff of the repaired game room..well…whenever this place ever gets finished!

Thanks you from the bottom of my wargaming epic desires!

Erik

Charge The Guns
    Participant

Hi Erik, you’re welcome! You can pay me back by playing the scenario and coming back here to let us know how you got on 🙂

Richard Hawes
    Participant

Thank you for this much appreciated

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.