Model showcase Mk.II

Home Forums Historical Victory At Sea Model showcase Mk.II

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Enioch
    Participant

Yeah, the forum system doesn’t like links to other host websites, so let’s try this again

Here are some ship pics, looking forward to seeing you guy’s paintjobs!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Enioch.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Enioch.
    Enioch
    Participant

Also, some scenery – an IJN DD and some IJN planes engaging the enemy near Wake

I love Warlord ships, but I really do not like the planes – especially the Zeroes have this weird selector of role in their base that rubs against the base itself and chips away the paint and I hate it as a concept.

So I printed planes on sheet styrene, cut them out, and encapsulated them in clear resin, with nameplates for each plane type. The end result is quite nice, if I say so myself, and the diameter of the mould is exactly 1″, so you can use them as they are and be game-safe.

I also started work on some terrain. Based on the implicit map scale of Warlord that we can deduce from gun ranges (1″ = 1kyard), I started working on some actual-scale important islands for my Pacific campaign. This Wake Island is just under 9″ across at its longest point. It’s interesting to note that the terrain piece in the beta scenario is 12″ across, so not map-scale accurate.

EDIT: Goddammit attachment system!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Enioch.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Enioch.
    d.giessmann
    Participant

Great ideas, Enioch. Your scenery is looking fantastic. What stuff have you used for it?

You have allready build  some different sort of aircraft for your IJN-Force. Do you have some ideas about the points and characteristics of D3A and Kate, perhaps adapting the „old“ VAS-rules?

Enioch
    Participant

I am using new VaS beta rules. Gimme a sec, I’ll find the stats.

Enioch
    Participant

And another, well-known atoll…

Lord Snotrag
    Participant

Good stuff, Enioch.  🙂

If I may add to the showcase, these are my first VaS models, painted to run a small demo at my LGS.  Hoping I can get enough interest to get others to buy in.  I don’t want to have to buy all the fleets.  😀

Enioch
    Participant

Oh, those are lovely. I like your ‘clean’ hulls, much smoother and slicker than my liberally-applied-wash-hulls that look more weathered, but…dirty.

I’m working on a terrain system now. Cardboard hexes, layered with a gloss membrane and then cardboard terrain bases. You can set them up in a modular way, and create coastlines as you see fit. The membrane is there to prepare water-blending painting technique to get a good sea look later; the cardboard bases will serve as the groundwork for terrain relief / flocking etc.

Each side of a hexagon is 2″, so 2kyards in VaS terrain scale.

Lord Snotrag
    Participant

Oh, those hex cards are exceptionally cool!  Well detailed and easier to travel with than standard terrain pieces.  [I often have to travel to get games in.  So portability is a big deal for me.]

I get the “dirty” thing with washes.  Basically, I brush longer strokes on the broad areas and dab in the detail areas.  While these washes are water-based, I learned how to do that with alacrity from working with varnish washes.  Because that stuff builds up and starts getting sticky fast.  😛 Fortunately, the water-based ones are a bit more forgiving.  🙂

Enioch
    Participant

Whatever you’re doing, it’s working 🙂

Yeah, transportability is important to me as well, but mostly I’m concerned about the modularity and the re-arrangeability. I am running a VaS campaign for friends via Discord, and we need a way to simulate various coastlines. Some scenarios you can do with individual atolls, and those are small enough to be custom-made every time, but when you need a 6-foot map edge for a coastal invasion, that’s another matter entirely -.-

So I figured out that with 30 hexes or so, we can have enough to re-arrange them so as to reproduce any coastline we need…

Started work on some reliefs, to make sure it’s a viable concept. Cardboard, toilet paper, white glue and superglue were used to shape the hills; texture is simple aquarium sand, will receive extra flocking later.

Y’know, I rather like it!

Enioch
    Participant

Yes, I definitely like it! 😀

Enioch
    Participant

Also, (and apologies for the triple post, but I think the content is different enough to warrant it): I’ve been working on a display cabinet for my darlings.

Top right, you will also note my kitbashed / scratch-modded latewar Mogami model, with her aft catapult deck!

Nat
    Participant

cool…

should be collecting my 5th & 6th Mogamis on friday so over the weekend I can convert one up to be the ’43 refit mogami!  (swapping the US half of my starter for the japanese half from the US player at my local club)

Enioch
    Participant

Mostly finished my cabinet.

Still working on some of my fleets. Got my second Kongo and Shokaku on the way, and I’ve finished my Prince of Wales and Eagle too…

Enioch
    Participant

First trial of my terrain pieces. The Furutaka and two Fubuki-class destroyers faced off against the HMS Orion, the HMS Dido and three allied destroyers in a desperate bid to escape the Hong Kong waters.

Pictured above: Dangan Island (or the nearest thing to it my terrain pieces can make). Overall, very happy with the end result, working on more hexes!

Edit: and on a better playing surface. Guys @ Warlord, I love you all, but the paper mats are probably the worse thing in the starter set after the paper health sliders  😀

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Enioch.
    Lord Snotrag
    Participant

Enioch, your terrain stuff is still looking wonderful.  🙂

Going back to your plane counters:  where did you find the images you printed for them?  I’m about at the point where I need to consider doing some of my own.

Thanks in advance.  🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.