Mixed order and attack columns

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Mixed order and attack columns

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    arcole
    Participant

Simple question. If a unit in attack column deploys it skirmishers in mixed order, does it get the morale bonus for being in attack column or does that only apply if the main body is shot at from its flanks/rear?

Garry Wills
    Participant

I am afraid the answer is not as simple as the question. I would say that yes an attack column in mixed formation is still an attack column and gets the morale bonus, because the rules define that the unit in mixed formation is still treated as one unit not two. Thus, as you say, when fired at form the flank or rear it is still an attack column. However it is fair to say that the rules are far from clear. The rules suggest that the mixed formation whether in line or attack column is a different formation, hence the formation change required to switch between the two. Consequently some have argued that the attack column morale save bonus does not apply, because the unit is arguably no longer an attack column. Some simply argue that to keep the morale save bonus puts the mixed formation column in  a cake and eat it position. If you argue that a mixed attack column is not an attack column they would also lose the movement bonus, which does not seem correct.

Since second edition was published I tend not to use mixed formation, preferring separate brigade  or regiment skirmish units. This seems also to better reflect actual historical practise, certainly for the British, where Wellington specifically ordered the formation of such units at Brigade level commanded by a major, and also for the French, who tended to organise such units under the command of a chef de battaillon.

arcole
    Participant

Hi Garry,

Actually I had not looked at it from the point of view of “formations”. Valid formation are listed on page 20, and there Mixed order is a separate line from attack column. This just adds another level on confusion.

My own person preference would be that from the flank or rear the unit would get the benefit of the attack column as the hits are to that part of the body, whilst from the front they get shot at as skirmishers. However I can see that this is open to interpretation both ways.

Garry Wills
    Participant

Yes p.20-1 of the rulebook only adds to the lack of clarity as they managed to avoid mentioning attack columns.  Your interpretation is certainly a valid one, given a lack of clarity from the authors. However I suspect that this would drive you towards separate units of skirmishers because a column screened by its own skirmishers within 12 inches of an artillery unit would take full casualties. If it was however screened by a separate unit of skirmishers within 12 inches of the artillery unit, the artillery either wouldn’t be able to see and target the column (p.52) or if you play the Clash of Eagles rule which allows penetration of roundshot beyond the first unit, the column would at least benefit from being an unclear target.

In my view mixed formation was one these ideas that seemed good on the drawing board to make the game ‘more Napoleonic’ but doesn’t survive contact with gaming table. The one third of figures deployed doesn’t match the proportion of light infantry in most Napoleonic battalions, furthermore, at six inches, they have to be kept too close to the battalions relative to all Napoleonic light infantry regulations I have seen. In the past, I have used mixed formations for early light infantry units that kept most of their men formed up.

My approach to skirmishers in Black Powder is described at the end of this Youtube video; https://youtu.be/zZwoGHbx8SE

All the best

Garry

Olvia
    Participant

Hello, Garry

My own person preference would be that from the flank or rear the unit would get the benefit of the attack column as the hits are to that part of the body, whilst from the front they get shot at as skirmishers. Once it has been done you are free to choose mod games for you.  However I can see that this is open to interpretation both ways.

This seems also to better reflect actual historical practise, certainly for the British, where Wellington specifically ordered the formation of such units at Brigade level commanded by a major, and also for the French, who tended to organise such units under the command of a chef de battaillon.

Sergio
    Participant

I believe Mixed Formation is a skirmish screen in front of a battalion in line. If you wanted to screen your columns you could use a light infantry unit to as a screen for the brigade.

Garry Wills
    Participant

Sergio

Mixed formation can be either lines or columns this is clearly stated in the rules for mixed formations

Regards

Garry

Sergio
    Participant

Oh, indeed! Thank you Pg 102 seems to answer all these questions.

• -1 when shot at from the front
    • There is nothing to suggest that the attack column does not benefit from its regular modifiers

If it was however screened by a separate unit of skirmishers within 12 inches of the artillery unit, the artillery either wouldn’t be able to see and target the column (p.52)

This doesn’t seem correct. The book says on p55 that artillery can ignore skirmishers at range >12 inches, otherwise they can shoot at a unit beyond a skirmish screen as unclear targets (-1 to hit) – this is the same whether the skirmishers are integral to the unit or not.

arcole
    Participant

However, as note before, page 20 specifically names Line, Attack Column and Mixed Formation being different. It just adds that level of uncertainty. This is not a competition rule set, so my group have decided to go with the attack column not getting the benefit of the morale bonus when shot at from the front.  Thanks for the input all!

Sergio
    Participant

The formation change to enter/exit mixed formation is easily explained as the process to deploy/recall skirmishers, despite the main body staying in their current formation.

P21 specifically refers to the command roll, and clearly delineate which formations get a bonus.

It makes sense that a batallion with the light company deployed would not get the bonus even if the body is in a columnar formation.

Similarly, I don’t think deploying skirmishers would in any way lessen the morale benefit of a battalion in massed ranks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.