Mine Field question

Home Forums General Discussion Mine Field question

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

I posted this on the Chicago Bolt Action forum and while there were a few comments, no answers, so I am submitting it here.

A default mine field is a 6″ square but the rules say (Korea P-225) “or can be delimited ad hoc before a game using 4 x 6″ long obstacles” (instead of two at 6 x 6 squares). My question is can I use instead of one 6″ square, two 6″ x 3″ rectangles and lay it long ways or in two different places? or am I restricted to a 6″ square?

As long as the area is the same and it is marked clearly I think it should be.  Problem is that it was not an agreeable change to my opponent and nothing beyond 6 x 6 square being the default size could be found.  Other places also said it could not be placed in impassable terrain so what if the 6″ square doesn’t fit?
    Looking for an official call here.

Thank you

Sadurian Mike
    Participant

My opinion is certainly not an official call, but might I throw in my own thoughts?

• If your opponent disagrees with the change to the ruleset you propose then he is at liberty to say no. Tinkering with rules is fine, but only so long as both players agree to the alterations.
    • Historically, minefields were sited in depth because their value is, and was, nuisance and delay to any enemy advance. The longer the delay, the more effective the minefield.
    • Minefields in a 6″x 6″ cover a 6″ frontage, your proposal doubles this frontage. That is quite a significant change if you are not also proposing lessening the minefield’s effect (see below).
    • The depth of the minefield is linked to the effect it has on passing through it. Halving the depth would seriously reduce the effectiveness of the minefield on units passing through, and also make clearing it much easier, something that you would need to cater for. To reduce the argument to a ridiculous level purely for illustration, a minefield one mine deep would hardly be an obstacle at all because men could simply hop over it, and clearing the mines to make a safe path would mean removing just one or two mines.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.