John’s BtGoA Blog

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    John Mathews
    Participant

Welcome to my Beyond the Gates of Antares Blog. Here is where I shall chart my painting and modeling of my BtGoA models.

I have Concord, Ghar (from Xilos)and the Algoryn from Kar’A nine. They all have been painted, but they will get redone as I am not happy with them.

I have just placed an order for the C3 starter box and a C3M4 which will be the basis of my army for the summer painting offensive.

I repainted one of my previous C3 troopers just now and this will be the scheme of my new army.
    Concord new

Always looking for new feedback and comments.i don’t plan on winning, just planning on being motivated to field a unified new army.

Luiso Bosqueviejo
    Participant

I like the paint scheme. Did you think to add another colour for the contrast, or only that light brown?

John Mathews
    Participant

@Luis: thanks. There is actually green on the left knee pad and I’m thinking of adding orange as a spot color somewhere, possibly as the shoulder pads, but I’ll take any suggestions….except yellow as that seems to pop up in all my other armies.

John Mathews
    Participant

Quick update. Started on the NuHu laying down base color and starting basing on him.
    NuHu

Also testing the basing on a larger scale (CD terrain piece in progress)
    Dunes

Mehman
    Participant

Love it! No idea what you’re talking about with the designations you mentioned, but I’m very interested in the game and what you’ve got going on here. Might have to pick up the starter sometime.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Rough Rider
    Participant

I’m thinking of adding orange as a spot color somewhere, possibly as the shoulder pads, but I’ll take any suggestions….except yellow as that seems to pop up in all my other armies.

How about white? Orange is an excellent choice too; you could also really brighten up the green so it stands out more.

I like your base colour- a very nice red sand and the leafy vegetation looks great on it.

John Mathews
    Participant

@Mehman: Right now the Kar’A nine starter is part of the summer offensive sale. £35 and then you get one of the sale items free. It’s a good starting base as you get a small force of Concord and Algoryn. Both have great plastic troops. I’d suggest getting the Concord heavy drone as athe free item (£25value) all free shipping right now.

@Rough Rider: I went and did both shoulder pads and the knee pads and chest armor in a lighter green. It works as a good camouflage addition as it helps blend into the plants I have on the above bases. I will keep white as an idea for leaders. thanks for that as orange has been one of those difficult colors for me. Actually white has made it into the mix. Here is my NuHu, I wanted there to be something different about him as he is the next generation of evolution.
    NuHu
    Might get some paint time shortly. Watching Black Panther with the family currently.

So question of the week (Not sure I’ll have a new one each week, but every now and then). What are you watching/listening to while you paint?

John Mathews
    Participant

Copied over from my post in the monthly painting competition.

Okay, so my challenge looks like this
    Drones
    5 new concord troopers (primed still on sprue.
    12 batter/spotter drones (8 primed, two basecoated, two my old green/white scheme)
    6 light support drones (4old scheme, one obnoxiously bad painted scheme attempt and one mostly done in new scheme)
    1 NuHu mandarin drone (I’ve just finished the Mandarin)
    Here is the mandarin with his basing next to Togg.
    NuHu
    NuHu
    NuHu back
    NuHu back
    Togg’s base is now finished similar to the mandarins
    And here are the drones in various states. I just finished their bases before posting this, new picture later.
    Drones
    I’ll try and keep updated in my BtGoA thread here throughout the month unless we want pics in both spots.
    Depending on when my order arrives from Warlord, there might be more drones added. Also possible stretch goals added along the way.

John Mathews
    Participant

Quick update, just need to do the lenses on these 6 light drones to finish them off, and figure out the controller arm on the two. Might add a plant to one of the bases to break it up a bit.
    Light drones
    Also finished off the limited character that comes in the Xilos box, I forget his name currently. Just need to detail the Ghar wreckage.
    Characters

Thanks for stopping by.

John Mathews
    Participant

Well my May 27th order just arrived.
    Delivery
    Perfect timing as I just finished assembling my last 5concord troopers.
    Squad assembled
    Also had finished up my drones. I need to figure out how I’m painting the subjugator arms on the light drones though.
    Droning on
    Also started a terrain piece using the template from Kar’A Nine.
    [url=https://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/953397-Large%20terrain.html][img]https://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2018/6/8/953397_sm-Large%20terrain.jpg[/img][/url]
    Just need to build termite mounds for it.

John Mathews
    Participant

Not much done lately, suffering from nasty virus, not a flu but close enough.

Finished the little drones, will eventually figure out how I want to paint the arms on the subjugation drones, but finished for now.
    Droning on

Assembled the last 5 troopers I had on sprue. I had primed the sprues a long time ago.
    Squad assembled

Cut out a piece of terrain that matches the Kar’A nine pieces out of VCT tile and based it similar to the models. It’s still drying.
    Large terrain

John Mathews
    Participant

Finished up the drones, just need to figure out how to paint the subjugater arms.
    Droning on

Cut out a terrain base the shape of one of the Kar’A Nine bases. Now to start figuring out how I’m going to do the termite mounds.
    Large terrain

Assembled the last 5 Concord figs I had on sprue to get these painted up soon to complete my monthly challenge.
    Squad assembled

Got it done just in time for my May27th order to show up at my front door.
    Delivery

Dom
    Participant

Looks great John … just need to repeat it for Algoryn 🙂

John Mathews
    Participant

Thanks Dom, you have no idea how hard it is not to…. I had the Algoryn box in my cart multiple times over the last week (Ghar too as those are my sons preference). Thinking of still pulling the trigger, but torn on the free item (transporter drone?).

Also short lul in getting stuff done the last few days, but I have more pics to post later.

John Mathews
    Participant

Not much progress made around here. Spent the last 2+ weeks with my father on hospice. He passed away peacefully yesterday. This morning I spent a little time working on my C3M4 drone and it’s base.
    Base2
    Base
    Concord, Drone, Medium
    Drone weapons
    I must still finish the weapons, engines and thrusters. I am really enjoying how it is turning out though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.