Is there a point system for Black Powder?

Home Forums Historical Black Powder Is there a point system for Black Powder?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Prichard
    Participant

Just getting started in Black Powder. I notice that unlike other Warlord Games, it is difficult to find points for units if you just want to do a pick up game (say both sides have 500 pts) or a game just to learn the rules. I have found some points references in the Clash of Eagles supplement but I am actually looking for points I can use in a French and Indian war genre.

Do they have a method of figuring points for units and if so, where can I find it?

Garry Wills
    Participant

Yes there was a points system suggested in the first edition of the rules, but it was dropped from the 2nd edition. Essentially you summed up the characteristics each multiplied by a factor; e.g. for infantry the points for a unit was; 1xClose Combat+2xShooting+4xStamina+3 per pip of morale (4+ = 12 points); so an average standard unit would be 6+6+12+9=33 points. Then the special rules had values either positive or negative. No points system is perfect, but it seems to work.

I notice that there is a free digital scenario on the French and Indian wars on the Warlords online store, which might give you a starting point. The new supplement A Dark and Bloody Ground is worth having although it doesn’t use the points system.

Garry

Mark Prichard
    Participant

Thank you. So where did the 9 come in on you equation above, is that the 3 per pip of morale?

And Yes I have looked at the book and am planning on purchasing it. But a point system is a good way to learn the game. The supplements I find are mostly about specific battles with specific orders of battles. We are not ready for that.

Garry Wills
    Participant

Yes Mark, my example was wrong – the 9 should have been 12 points, 4 for each morale pip. The points for shooting also is range dependent.

I have attached a couple of screen shots from the key bits of BP1, which I hope Warlord will see as fair use.

Regards

Garry

Mark Prichard
    Participant

Great! Thank You very much!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.