Heavy Cavalry in wedge formation

Home Forums Historical Hail Caesar Heavy Cavalry in wedge formation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Ogden
    Participant

This has probably been discussed on more than one occasion, but I’ve not see it so I’ll raise it now.
    Heavy cavalry in wedge formation, its like using a challenger tank at the Somme, there’s very little you can do to counter it.
    The rules are very sketchy as to wither you can actually use cavalry in wedge formation. The rules on page 107 infer that the wedge is an infantry formation and that armies should not form up in that formation as a matter of habit. We have to face successor heavy cavalry flying around the table in wedge formation claiming +1 moral from all actions and inflicting -1 for facing sarissa.
    Your view would be appreciated.

Big Al
    Participant

The wedge rule wasn’t intended for use with cavalry. I remember having this discussion with the author at the open day when Hail Caesar was released. Cavalry did not fight in a wedge formation as described in the rules. They were intended for infantry

John Ogden
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.
    I thought what they were claiming was too good, I always argued that wedges shouldn’t get the +1 on moral as it wasn’t a defensive formation for cavalry.They just pointed to Moral modifiers, + 1 to square or wedge, they ignored where it says extra protection from their overlapping shields. It was a case of only seeing what they wanted to gain an advantage.
    Thanks again.
    John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.